Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Kevin Old <ko...@kold.homelinux.com> on 2004/03/04 21:21:12 UTC

RE: [users@httpd] How to have 1.3 and 2.0 coexist on the same server

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 14:57, Robinson, Josie M. wrote:
> Stating the obvious but when you build apache 1.3 and 2.0 put them in
> separate directories, this can be specified during the config/install
> process.
>
> #./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache

Josie,

Yes, I'm aware of how to install two versions of Apache.  I reread my
post and I never really asked the questions that I need answered, I just
laid out my reasoning for doing it.

I have web apps running on Apache 1.3 and mod_perl 1.26.  Since mod_perl
1.99 isn't production ready, I've thought of the following work around
so that I can keep my Apache 1.3 apps running on the same physical
server as 2.0 and keep the user from having to specify a port (8080 in
the example below).

My idea is to run Apache 2.0 on port 80 and Apache 1.3 on port 8080.

I'd like to use mod_rewrite to help pass requests that come in through
Apache 2.0 (on port 80) over to the Apache 1.3 server (on port 8080).
This way I could pass the request between the two servers/ports and it
would be seamless to the user.

First, is this a good idea?  Are there other suggestions on how to do
this?

Any help is appreciated,
Kevin
--
Kevin Old <ko...@kold.homelinux.com>

Re: [users@httpd] How to have 1.3 and 2.0 coexist on the same server

Posted by Kevin Old <ko...@kold.homelinux.com>.
On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 15:32, Joshua Slive wrote:
> Kevin Old wrote:
> > My idea is to run Apache 2.0 on port 80 and Apache 1.3 on port 8080.
> >
> Anyway, your question is not very specific.  Yes, plenty of people do
> run configuration with apache acting as a reverse-proxy to another
> server.  What specifically do you want to know?

Joshua,

Well, I wanted to know if others did reverse-proxy's.  I am planning on
testing my code with Apache 2 and mod_perl 2 and wanted another way to
keep existing apps running if my tests didn't go well.

Like I said in my first (rather confusing) email, I'm being forced to
Apache 2 by my server house.  They are no longer supporting RH 7.3 and
all the latest linux distros come with Apache 2 and mod_perl 2.

Thanks for your help, I'll try testing my stuff with Apache 2 and
mod_perl 1.99 and see how things go.

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Kevin Old wrote:
> I have web apps running on Apache 1.3 and mod_perl 1.26.  Since mod_perl
> 1.99 isn't production ready, I've thought of the following work around
> so that I can keep my Apache 1.3 apps running on the same physical
> server as 2.0 and keep the user from having to specify a port (8080 in
> the example below).
>
> My idea is to run Apache 2.0 on port 80 and Apache 1.3 on port 8080.
>
> I'd like to use mod_rewrite to help pass requests that come in through
> Apache 2.0 (on port 80) over to the Apache 1.3 server (on port 8080).
> This way I could pass the request between the two servers/ports and it
> would be seamless to the user.
>
> First, is this a good idea?  Are there other suggestions on how to do
> this?

This should work fine, but it will add considerable complexity to your
setup, and will also make things somewhat slower.  My first choice would
be to back everything up to 1.3 if you really need mod_perl 1.26, or
take the chance with mod_perl and apache 2.

But If you really can't do that, then the proxy setup can have some
advantages.  You can have a light-weight apache on port 80 which will
handle the static requests and forward the more complicated requests
back to the mod_perl-enabled apache.