Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com> on 2009/07/26 22:13:12 UTC

Felix HttpService improvement...

Hi.

I have looked at the HttpService implementation in Felix and I had some
thoughts on how to improve the functionality. Over the past year I have
looked long and hard for a solution that has the following features:

  * Run inside a WAR on a 3rd part container.
  * Run stand-alone (using jetty).
  * Has servlet filter support.
  * Using whiteboard pattern for registering servlets / filters.

The road led me to Pax Web (supports filters, but only as a stand-alone
service) and Equinox Servlet Bridge (does not support filters). Whiteboard
registering pattern is implemented by the Pax guys, but does not support
filters inside a "bridged" environment.

So, eventually I was tired of looking for a solution out there and created
my own. This supports servlets and filters in both stand-alone and bridged
mode (WAR). Now I have come to a fork in the road. Should I donate the code
or host my own. I prefer to donate the code. But is the right place under
Felix umbrella or Pax Web umbrella? I see that more and more is created
under Felix and this implementation would be (in my opinion) a great
addition.

So, what do you guys think?

BR,
Sten Roger Sandvik

Re: Felix HttpService improvement...

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sten

Sten Roger Sandvik schrieb:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> As part of the IP-process we also need an ICLA of you, Sten, on file. I
>> see there is one for Sten Roger Sanvik with email srs@xbm.com. Am I
>> correct to assume, that this is your ICLA ?
>

> Yes, but the email is wrong. It's srs@x3m.com. And the name Sten Roger
> Sandvik :-) Do I need another one?

Thanks for the confirmation.

I just crosschecked: It looks like there are two bugs ;-)

The wrong spelling on your last name is my fault: It is correct in the
registration. The wrong mail address stems from an incorrect
transmission from your ICLA fax submission (the fax clearly reads
srs@x3m.com. I will care to have this fixed.

Regards
Felix

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.
On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Sten,
>
> Looks bascially good (files as appropriate have the license headers, MD5
> checksum matches).
>
> Just two remarks:
>
>  * The pom.xml should also have the license headers
>   (this can probably be fixed when we import into SVN)
>
>  * there is a runner folder containing scripts and the
>   pax runner library.
>   This should probably not be included, right ?
>   (again, I think we can start the process and just omit
>   this directory when importing into SVN)

Yes, just omit the runner folder. That was a mistake. Was only using that to
make quick tests.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 8/28/09 16:43, Richard S. Hall wrote:
> On 8/28/09 16:30, Felix Meschberger wrote:
>> Hi Sten,
>>
>> Looks bascially good (files as appropriate have the license headers, MD5
>> checksum matches).
>>
>> Just two remarks:
>>
>>   * The pom.xml should also have the license headers
>>     (this can probably be fixed when we import into SVN)
>>
>>   * there is a runner folder containing scripts and the
>>     pax runner library.
>>     This should probably not be included, right ?
>>     (again, I think we can start the process and just omit
>>     this directory when importing into SVN)
>>
>> As part of the IP-process we also need an ICLA of you, Sten, on file. I
>> see there is one for Sten Roger Sanvik with email srs@xbm.com. Am I
>> correct to assume, that this is your ICLA ?
>>
>> Thanks again for your submission, I will now start the process of
>> getting this into Felix SVN.
>
> Which will require Sten to fill out a Software Grant, which may need
> to come from his employer if it is actually the employer who is
> contributing the code.

And of course, we still have to vote and accept it before any of this is
truly necessary...

-> richard

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.
Yes. Will fill it out on monday.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sten,

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sten,

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 8/28/09 13:48, Sten Roger Sandvik wrote:
> Attached the source in the jira task (
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-1456). Not sure on what format
> that the attachement should be, but created a tar.gz file. Attached a md5
> checksum for the package.

That's fine.

-> richard

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sten,

Sten Roger Sandvik schrieb:
> I think you can move forward with the current CLA that has been submitted
> since this code is done outside the company. But for further work I have
> requested that the company send in a CLA (this will be done today or
> tomorrow). Is that ok?

Excellent.

And, yes, I planned launching the vote today.

Regards
Felix

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sten,

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Filippo,

Posted by Filippo Diotalevi <fi...@gmail.com>.

--
Filippo Diotalevi

Re: Felix HttpService improvement...

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 8/28/09 13:29, Sten Roger Sandvik wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Richard S. Hall<he...@ungoverned.org>wrote:
>

>> On 8/28/09 4:36, Felix Meschberger wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,

>>> The next steps are IIRC the following:
>>>
>>>    * Sten packages the source and attaches the package to
>>>      the issue and publishes a package checksum.
>>>

>> I will add to this, removes any existing header/copyright notices from the
>> files and adds the standard Apache header (see any Felix Java file). Package
>> renaming is not necessary at this point.
>>

> Have added apache (2.0) on top of all files. Will now create a tarball and
> add it to the JIRA task. I'm also interested in getting committer rights so
> that I can still maintain the code. Will that be handled in a seperate vote?

Yes, on the private mailing list.

-> richard

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.
Will look at that and see how to include it. It's not going in right now,
since my first priority is to get it up in felix svn.

BR,
Sten Roger

Posted by Clement Escoffier <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Moloney, Tim M" <Ti...@ManTech.com>.
Our application uses cometd so including this would be a welcomed
feature.

Tim Moloney             The  reasonable  man adapts  himself  to
MRSL                    the world; the unreasonable one persists
2015 Cattlemen Road     in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Sarasota, FL  34232     Therefore  all progress  depends on  the
(941) 377-6775 x208     unreasonable man.    George Bernard Shaw

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.

Posted by Clement Escoffier <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.
Kind words :-) I know sling would benefit from this implementation. Working
on a OSGi project too that is in need for such a service. One http bundle
that fit's every deployment method makes the distribution a little easier
:-)

BR,
Sten Roger

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
I agree, something like this would be very much welcomed.

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: Felix HttpService improvement...

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.
The Java 5 features can be skipped. It's not that much work to make it Java
1.4 compatible. I will like to donate the code so it will have a good home.
Would also be active in the maintainance of the http service and
webcontainer (work in progress) if it's migrated into felix.

BR,
Sten Roger

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
Hello Sten,