Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2016/12/04 06:26:44 UTC

Review on Jira for 0.4.0-incubating

Hi beamers,

We plan a 0.4.0-incubating release pretty soon. I propose to manage this
release.

I started to review the Jira with fix version set to 0.4.0-incubating.

Please, update the fix version in Jira if you are working on specific
Jira and you want to include in the 0.4.0-incubating release.

Thanks
Regards
JB
--
Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Review on Jira for 0.4.0-incubating

Posted by Davor Bonaci <da...@google.com.INVALID>.

> I wanted to suggest if we can have sort of a window or timeline for
> feature/bug code freeze prior to release to ensure stability?

Release branches are a typical solution; I think we just need to get better
in using them appropriately.

Re: Review on Jira for 0.4.0-incubating

Posted by Neelesh Salian <ns...@cloudera.com>.
+1 to Davor and JB's point.
The incubator stuff can certainly be done thoroughly after the board's
decision (if in favor).
Graduation aside, keeping up the cadence of the release would be better in
the product life cycle.

Perhaps a different thread altogether but I wanted to suggest if we can

--
Neelesh Srinivas Salian
Customer Operations Engineer

Re: Review on Jira for 0.4.0-incubating

Posted by Davor Bonaci <da...@google.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Hate to suggest this….

Assuming the Board OK’s the graduation next Wednesday, if we wait till then to do the build, we can drop the the incubator stuff entirely and it could be a “first release” outside of incubation.   We could avoid the extra vote on the incubator list, etc….

Would it make sense to delay the week?   Not a big deal either way, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a project do a release between the graduation vote and the board vote.   Every project I’ve seen decided to wait to have the “we’ve graduated!” release.

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: Review on Jira for 0.4.0-incubating

Posted by Dan Halperin <dh...@google.com.INVALID>.

wrote:

> Very good point Frances.
>
> Definitely something we have to do.
>
> Regards
> JB
>

> On 12/04/2016 07:38 AM, Frances Perry wrote:
>
>> Sounds great, JB!
>>
>> The major blocker in my opinion is to finish the polishing pass on the
>> quickstarts and example archetypes, so that users will have a great
>> experience trying out 0.4.0-incubating. I know we've made some significant
>> progress there in the last few weeks, but I don't think we've quite
>> finished. For example, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-909 is
>> unresolved and marked as 0.4.0-incubating.
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 10:26 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi beamers,
>>>
>>> We plan a 0.4.0-incubating release pretty soon. I propose to manage this
>>> release.
>>>
>>> I started to review the Jira with fix version set to 0.4.0-incubating.
>>>
>>> Please, update the fix version in Jira if you are working on specific
>>> Jira
>>> and you want to include in the 0.4.0-incubating release.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Regards

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Very good point Frances.