Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/07 22:32:15 UTC

FW: Space costs of dynamic fields?

Are there any extra costs for dynamic v.s. static fields? That is, if I have
the same dynamic field in 95% of my documents, should I just make it static
and empty in the other 5%? Will query speed or change? Which choice will use
more pace?

Otherwise, the only downside of dynamic fields is that you can't say, "give
me fields a*_t but not b*_t" in a query. I haven't found others in the mail
archives or the wiki.

Thanks,

Lance Norskog

Re: Space costs of dynamic fields?

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Sep 7, 2007, at 4:32 PM, Lance Norskog wrote:
> Otherwise, the only downside of dynamic fields is that you can't
> say, "give
> me fields a*_t but not b*_t" in a query. I haven't found others in
> the mail
> archives or the wiki.

We're gonna fix this one.  It's part of this issue for now:

I'd like wildcarding to be consistent whenever you can list fields.
It can be handy to get all fields of a certain suffix back from
facets or stored fields.

	Erik