Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by jm...@fastmail.fm on 2014/09/03 18:25:58 UTC

default JMeter caching

Hi,

I'd like to understand a little a bit about default JMeter caching.

I have a site behind Varnish caching. However, when I ran the tests
through Varnish and by bypassing Varnish the results were similar. It
was only when I added: "cache-control: no-cache" (in the non-Varnish
tests) to the request header that I received slower response times

I wonder why this is, and if JMeter is caching locally?

Many Thanks

Paul

Re: default JMeter caching

Posted by Tim Koopmans <ti...@flood.io>.
You might find our blog post on this useful:
https://flood.io/blog/18-understanding-the-jmeter-cache

You might also want to double check your varnish config (and that it is
actually caching responses from the backend / origin servers). I like to
add debug headers so you can view hit/miss stats from the client -- see
slide 25 in my presentation here
http://www.slideshare.net/90kts/caching-with-varnish-9864681 -- sometimes
other things can cause varnish not to cache, like presence of cookies in
the request headers etc.

Then you can manually verify what JMeter is or isn't doing with a view
results tree listener in the GUI first -- before running an actual load
test with listeners disabled etc.

Regards,

Tim Koopmans
+61 3 9221 6309

[image: Flood IO Pty Ltd] <https://flood.io>

Level 27, 101 Collins Street
Melbourne, Vic 3000

Re: default JMeter caching

Posted by Jeff Ohrstrom <jo...@hotmail.com>.
That's an interesting question that deserves looking into the code.
However from the RFC it seems that header directive is telling the
origin server not to cache not the client.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616#section-14.9.1