Posted to bridges-dev@portals.apache.org by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> on 2011/09/14 15:07:25 UTC

[DISCUSS] Planning jetspeed-2.2.2, pluto-2.0.3, bridges-script-2.0 and several apa-*-1.2 releases

Hi all,

I'd like to prepare a plan for a jetspeed 2.2.2 release shortly, including
releases for other portal projects which it depends upon, which are:
- j2-admin-2.2.2
- pluto-2.0.3
- portal-bridges-script-2.0
- apa-webcontent-1.2
- apa-rss-1.2
- apa-dbbrowser-1.2
- apa-demo-1.2

For all the above projects, there are some JIRA issues still open/unresolved on
these specific versions, so these either need to be finished shortly, or
otherwise bumped to a next version when possible.

Issues to address:

   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/APA-38 (Woonsan Ko)
   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-901 (unassigned, David Taylor)
   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-1052 (Randy Watler)
   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-1100 (David Taylor)
   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-1169 (unassigned, Woonsan Ko)
   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-1196 (David Taylor)
   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-1197 (David Taylor)
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-1255 (unassigned, Ate Douma)

So we have currently two unassigned issues to address, and 6 others assigned.

If someone assigned to one of these issues has a difficult to resolve it but
still think it is critical to be included for this release, please speak up so
we can discuss and possible reassign it.

Concerning the release themselves: I think we could start with preparing release
candidates for pluto-2.0.3 and portal-bridges-script-2.0 shortly (say next week)
if nobody objects or has other pending tasks to address them.

For the bridges-script in particular I'd like to ask Woonsan if he can do a last
review of the changes as most in this module are his, in particular validating
the appropriate notice and license attributions are provided.

For pluto-2.0.3 there have been very little changes, only bug fixes, so we
should be pretty good to go for that one, but I'd like the input and OK from
Eric Dalquist on that one first as well.

And once APA-38 has been resolved, I think we should be good to start the
release for the above apa-* modules as well, for which I propose we bundle those
in a single release step (and thus vote). As these have no other
interdependencies with other release candidates, we should be able to start with
that ASAP as well.

Which leaves the jetspeed and j2-admin release candidates.
For these I'd like to have a concrete plan (or even resolution) to wrap up the
remaining issues hopefully sometime end of next week?

If all the above works out fine it would be my goal to start with the then only
remaining release steps for jetspeed 2.2.2 by Monday September 26th (week 39).
Note: this assumes that all the other dependent releases have been finished
*and* accepted before this date!

With kind regards,

Ate

Re: [DISCUSS] Planning jetspeed-2.2.2, pluto-2.0.3, bridges-script-2.0 and several apa-*-1.2 releases

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 09/16/2011 11:04 PM, Woonsan Ko wrote:
> Hi Ate / All,
>

>>    http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/APA-38 (Woonsan Ko)
>>    http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-1169 (unassigned, Woonsan Ko)
>
> I've resolved the two issues.
>

>> Concerning the release themselves: I think we could start with preparing release
>> candidates for pluto-2.0.3 and portal-bridges-script-2.0 shortly (say next week)
>> if nobody objects or has other pending tasks to address them.
>>
>> For the bridges-script in particular I'd like to ask Woonsan if he can do a
>> last review of the changes as most in this module are his, in particular
>> validating the appropriate notice and license attributions are provided.
>
> I reviewed it and completed the necessary jobs such as upgrading library dependencies, licenses and notices. See PB-110 for detail.
> I hope to initiate the release process (releasing to the staging repository, voting and releasing if passed) of bridges-script early next week.

Great, good work Woonsan!
Looking forward for the vote on bridges-script-2.0 :)

Ate

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Ate / All,

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Ate / All,

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 09/23/2011 05:30 AM, Woonsan Ko wrote:

> [...]
Yes, agreed.

For clarity: even with the Tomcat Manager disabled, Jetspeed admin users will
not lose the capability to upload new (or updated) portlet applications through
the PortletApplicationManager portlet, e.g. remotely. That functionality is
simply delegating the uploaded war to the JetspeedDeployer, so the same as when
you manually copy a war into the deploy folder (locally).

I'll update and adjust https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-1258 to reflect
this change of plan.

Ate

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 09/22/2011 05:23 PM, David Taylor wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 3:36 AM, Ate Douma<at...@douma.nu>  wrote:
>> (note: moved this response to jetspeed-dev@ as I don't think it concerns
>> pluto-dev@)
>>
> Ah, your cross post got me
>
>> On 09/20/2011 07:55 AM, David Taylor wrote:
>>>
>>> Ate, I thought you were planning on updating the LDAP documentation
>>> before releasing 2.2.....
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Yes, that has been my intention, but so far I haven't been able to allocate
>> time for this yet. And as none of our customers are waiting for this either,
>> it has to come out of my own personal time.
>
> Well, if you don't have time to work on it, that is understandable.
> Let someone else do it. There needs to be a documented step by step
> process for cutting a release so that any committer who is not busy
> can step up. Its been a few releases since I released any Apache
> project, to be honest I don't remember all the steps. Seems this
> document is not up-to-date and actually has old procedures:
>
> docs/release/RELEASE-TODO.txt
>
> Could you possibly update the document (for Jetspeed and Pluto as
> well), while its fresh in your mind, I really don't mean to make more
> work for you....

Yes I can and will do that.
The procedure for Pluto is pretty simple and standard.
Good and extensive documentation for this can also be found at Apache Rave
(Incubating), http://incubator.apache.org/rave/release-management.html.
I can trim that down as a straight forward set of instructions and put it
somewhere in the portals svn tree.

And Jetspeed-2 is actually not much different with the exception that we employ
custom pom (jetspeed-mvn-*-pom.xml) files which Maven isn't aware of and
therefore cannot automatically synchronize during the release process. So, those
files needs to be updated manually before, and after the standard release
procedure. But that's about the only difference as far as I remember.
Anyway, I'll add instructions for this as well.

>> As a voluntary task I need to balance that against other responsibilities
>> and currently there are simply too many other things taking precedence.
>>
>> That is unsatisfactory of course, definitely for me as well, but it is how
>> things work with voluntary contributions.
>>
>> I still do intent to pick this up but I can't and won't make specific
>> promises anymore for when it will be done.
>>
>> Concerning the jetspeed 2.2.2 release, the LDAP integration certainly is a
>> nice feature, but as said we don't have any customers waiting for this
>> documentation, while there is a need for the new Jetspeed release.
>
> The problem is that the current documentation is no longer accurate.
> It leads people into a trap, they get stuck, and no one responds on
> jetspeed-user mailing list to help them. See Jerome Dupont's questions
> on jetspeed-user this summer. Because LDAP integration requires step
> by step procedures, it should never have been released without proper
> documentation
Acknowledged. However that doesn't change my ability to do something about it
right now. And for the record, there are more existing docs which still are
based on Jetspeed 2.1.x, e.g. largely outdated, so its not like only an issue
with the LDAP docs.

>> Woonsan already got the portal-bridges-script-2.0 release vote going (should
>> be completed today I think) and I initiated the release for pluto-2.0.3 late
>> last night.
>>
>> The next phase will be the release preparation for the apa-* modules and
>> thereafter sometimes next week the final release for jetspeed.
>>
>> However, there are still a few issues open on Jetspeed for which it is
>> unclear to me how/when these can be resolved or else moved to the next
>> version.
>> As 3 of those are currently assigned to you, can you provide some indication
>> for these?
>>
> The JetUI documentation took a lot of my time.
I could see that: very extensive and looking great! Good job.

> I will continue going
> through all bugs and close them out by early next week
Cool, thanks for that.

See: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-1258

Posted by David Taylor <da...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 3:36 AM, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:
> (note: moved this response to jetspeed-dev@ as I don't think it concerns
> pluto-dev@)

Ah, your cross post got me

> On 09/20/2011 07:55 AM, David Taylor wrote:
>>
>> Ate, I thought you were planning on updating the LDAP documentation
>> before releasing 2.2.....
>
> Hi David,
>
> Yes, that has been my intention, but so far I haven't been able to allocate
> time for this yet. And as none of our customers are waiting for this either,
> it has to come out of my own personal time.

Well, if you don't have time to work on it, that is understandable.
Let someone else do it. There needs to be a documented step by step
process for cutting a release so that any committer who is not busy
can step up. Its been a few releases since I released any Apache
project, to be honest I don't remember all the steps. Seems this
document is not up-to-date and actually has old procedures:

docs/release/RELEASE-TODO.txt

Could you possibly update the document (for Jetspeed and Pluto as
well), while its fresh in your mind, I really don't mean to make more
work for you....

> As a voluntary task I need to balance that against other responsibilities
> and currently there are simply too many other things taking precedence.
>
> That is unsatisfactory of course, definitely for me as well, but it is how
> things work with voluntary contributions.
>
> I still do intent to pick this up but I can't and won't make specific
> promises anymore for when it will be done.
>
> Concerning the jetspeed 2.2.2 release, the LDAP integration certainly is a
> nice feature, but as said we don't have any customers waiting for this
> documentation, while there is a need for the new Jetspeed release.

The problem is that the current documentation is no longer accurate.
It leads people into a trap, they get stuck, and no one responds on
jetspeed-user mailing list to help them. See Jerome Dupont's questions
on jetspeed-user this summer. Because LDAP integration requires step
by step procedures, it should never have been released without proper
documentation

> Woonsan already got the portal-bridges-script-2.0 release vote going (should
> be completed today I think) and I initiated the release for pluto-2.0.3 late
> last night.
>
> The next phase will be the release preparation for the apa-* modules and
> thereafter sometimes next week the final release for jetspeed.
>
> However, there are still a few issues open on Jetspeed for which it is
> unclear to me how/when these can be resolved or else moved to the next
> version.
> As 3 of those are currently assigned to you, can you provide some indication
> for these?

The JetUI documentation took a lot of my time. I will continue going

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by David Taylor <da...@gmail.com>.

--
David

Re: [DISCUSS] Planning jetspeed-2.2.2, pluto-2.0.3, bridges-script-2.0 and several apa-*-1.2 releases

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Ate / All,

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Ate / All,