Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Regner Trampedach <ar...@mso.anu.edu.au> on 2006/09/07 08:06:18 UTC

commit parent-dir from child-dir

Dear SVN user-mailing-list

  I have a directory structure as this:

      parent -->  child1
             -->  child2
             -->  child3

The repository was created with:
   svnadmin create [path-to-repos]/parent
   svn import [path-to-parent]/parent file://[path-to-repos]/parent -m [comment]
   svn checkout file://[path-to-repos]/parent [path-to-WC]/parent

Now both the parent and the "children" are SVN-directories, each with
a .svn directory inside (on UNIX/Linux).

Q: Can I change the default behaviour of svn so that it acts on
   "parent" even when invoked from a "child"?

Motivation: I have files linked between the different "children"
   so that I can share files and keep consistency. Now, if I work
   on child2 and change fileA which is linked from child1, then
   svn won't see any changes from child2 as the *link* is unchanged.
   I will need to go to parent or child1 to see and commit the
   change. This might seem a small inconvenience, but I'm more
   concerned about ensuring consistency and that other people
   working on this project don't loose their updates.

I have read the svn-book closely and haven't found anything
applicable - and using externals for the common files won't work
for me either since changes to the external part would have to
be committed separately. A bit cumbersome for my situation.

   Thanks

     Regner

Re: commit parent-dir from child-dir

Posted by Jeremy Pereira <je...@jeremyp.net>.
On 7 Sep 2006, at 09:06, Regner Trampedach wrote:

> Dear SVN user-mailing-list
>
>   I have a directory structure as this:
>
>       parent -->  child1
>              -->  child2
>              -->  child3
>
> The repository was created with:
>    svnadmin create [path-to-repos]/parent
>    svn import [path-to-parent]/parent file://[path-to-repos]/parent
> -m [comment]
>    svn checkout file://[path-to-repos]/parent [path-to-WC]/parent
>
> Now both the parent and the "children" are SVN-directories, each with
> a .svn directory inside (on UNIX/Linux).
>
> Q: Can I change the default behaviour of svn so that it acts on
>    "parent" even when invoked from a "child"?

I don't know if this is what you want, but svn seems to understand
what ".." means i.e.

svn commit -m "some message" ..

will operate on the parent directory of the one you are in.