Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1997/05/16 00:17:52 UTC

Re: AOLpress BROWSE method

>Go ahead. Although I would prefer it if the format was documented, rather
>than having to guess the format by trial-and-error.

I asked Jim W. (my office mate and WebDAV chair) and he said there is
no documentation for it -- the NaviPress guys just coded on the fly.
WebDAV will obviously be going with something more powerful, but there's
no harm in implementing it (with the proper security constraints).

BTW, somebody other than me should get cracking on a new mod_cgi2.c
module that passes all methods, chunked encoding, buffering, etc. to
those scripts smart enough to handle real HTTP.

>> While you are at it; I've been adding things like INFO and META to the
>> usual list of suspects; GET, POST, PUT... and really found that a
>> hacky thing to do. Perhaps this needs an API general handlign aproach
>> of some kind ? (though you should not make it that easy to do such
>> gross protocol violations :-))
>
>On the contrary, HTTP has always allowed extension methods, so I think it
>should be relatively easy to add methods. For instance, it would be nice
>to be able to add a new method (say, LINK), then allow "Script LINK
>/cgi-bin/handle-link". This cannot be done at present, since the list of
>allowed methods is hard-coded in whereever needed. Something to think
>about for the 2.0 API.

Yep, its #1 on my list of API needs.  All handlers should be registered
by method name, with the "will you handle this request?" pass done
separately from the "handle this request" invocatiion.

....Roy