Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by alvinj <aa...@pubpress.com> on 2008/02/14 17:04:16 UTC

Pure Master Slave not working

I'm trying to create a Pure Master Slave configuration using AMQ 4.1.1 and a
slightly stripped down version of the default configuration files. (I
originally tried with AMQ 5.0.0 but had too many problems, so I dropped back
a release.) After the Master and Slave seem to start up okay, the system
doesn't work properly when I send messages using the default Producer
application with this failover URL in the build.xml file:

<property name="url"
value="failover:(tcp://macserver:61616,tcp://localhost:61616)?initialReconnectDelay=100"
/>

In that line, "macserver" is the name of the Master server (a Mac OS X
system) and localhost is my Slave system (Windows XP).

Once I type

ant producer

with this configuration, the Master system throws this exception for each
message that is sent:

ERROR MasterBroker                   - Slave Failed
java.lang.AssertionError: Unsupported Method
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportSupport.request(TransportSupport.java:71)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportFilter.request(TransportFilter.java:88)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportFilter.request(TransportFilter.java:88)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.MutexTransport.request(MutexTransport.java:54)
        at
org.apache.activemq.broker.ft.MasterBroker.sendSyncToSlave(MasterBroker.java:363)
        at
org.apache.activemq.broker.ft.MasterBroker.sendToSlave(MasterBroker.java:345)
        at
org.apache.activemq.broker.ft.MasterBroker.acknowledge(MasterBroker.java:320)
        at
org.apache.activemq.broker.MutableBrokerFilter.acknowledge(MutableBrokerFilter.java:88)
        at
org.apache.activemq.broker.TransportConnection.processMessageAck(TransportConnection.java:506)
        at org.apache.activemq.command.MessageAck.visit(MessageAck.java:179)
        at
org.apache.activemq.broker.TransportConnection.service(TransportConnection.java:294)
        at
org.apache.activemq.broker.TransportConnection$1.onCommand(TransportConnection.java:185)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportFilter.onCommand(TransportFilter.java:65)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.WireFormatNegotiator.onCommand(WireFormatNegotiator.java:133)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.InactivityMonitor.onCommand(InactivityMonitor.java:122)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportSupport.doConsume(TransportSupport.java:84)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.run(TcpTransport.java:137)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

When I use the "browse" command the Master does show that my messages are in
the queue, but when I check the Slave it has no messages. The Slave system
also does not throw any exceptions. It just shows this message:

INFO  BrokerService                  - ActiveMQ 4.1.1 JMS Message Broker
(localhost) is starting
INFO  BrokerService                  - For help or more information please
see: http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/
INFO  ManagementContext              - JMX consoles can connect to
service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://localhost:1099/jmxrmi
INFO  JDBCPersistenceAdapter         - Database driver recognized:
[apache_derby_embedded_jdbc_driver]
INFO  DefaultDatabaseLocker          - Attempting to acquire the exclusive
lock to become the Master broker
INFO  DefaultDatabaseLocker          - Becoming the master on dataSource:
org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDataSource@92668c
INFO  JournalPersistenceAdapter      - Journal Recovery Started from: Active
Journal: using 5 x 20.0 Megs at:
C:\Work\PureMasterSlave\Slave-411\activemq-data\journal
INFO  JournalPersistenceAdapter      - Journal Recovered: 0 message(s) in
transactions recovered.
INFO  TransportServerThreadSupport   - Listening for connections at:
tcp://winxp911:61616
INFO  TransportConnector             - Connector openwire Started
INFO  TransportServerThreadSupport   - Listening for connections at:
stomp://winxp911:61613
INFO  TransportConnector             - Connector stomp Started
INFO  TransportConnector             - Connector vm://localhost Started
INFO  MasterConnector                - Starting a network connection between
vm://localhost#0 and tcp://null:0 has been established.
INFO  BrokerService                  - ActiveMQ JMS Message Broker
(localhost, ID:winxp911-1560-1203001783263-2:0) started
INFO  MasterConnector                - Slave connection between
vm://localhost#0 and tcp://macserver/172.30.28.88:61616 has been
established.

The Master continues to save new messages to my queue, but throws that same
exception for each new message added.

Here are my activemq.xml configuration files:

MASTER
------

<beans>

  <!-- Allows us to use system properties as variables in this configuration
file -->
  <bean
class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer"/>

  <broker brokerName="localhost" useJmx="true"
xmlns="http://activemq.org/config/1.0">

    <persistenceAdapter>
        <journaledJDBC journalLogFiles="5"
dataDirectory="${activemq.base}/activemq-data"/>
    </persistenceAdapter>

    <transportConnectors>
       <transportConnector name="openwire" uri="tcp://localhost:61616"
discoveryUri="multicast://default"/>
       <transportConnector name="ssl"     uri="ssl://localhost:61617"/>
       <transportConnector name="stomp"   uri="stomp://localhost:61613"/>
    </transportConnectors>

  </broker>

</beans>

SLAVE
-----

<beans>

  <!-- Allows us to use system properties as variables in this configuration
file -->
  <bean
class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer"/>

  <broker brokerName="localhost" xmlns="http://activemq.org/config/1.0"
masterConnectorURI="tcp://macserver:61616" shutdownOnMasterFailure="false">

    <persistenceAdapter>
        <journaledJDBC journalLogFiles="5"
dataDirectory="${activemq.base}/activemq-data"/>
    </persistenceAdapter>

    <transportConnectors>
       <transportConnector name="openwire" uri="tcp://localhost:61616"
discoveryUri="multicast://default"/>
       <transportConnector name="stomp"   uri="stomp://localhost:61613"/>
    </transportConnectors>

  </broker>

</beans>

Finally, I've totally dropped the firewalls on both systems, and the Mac
(Master) is using Java 1.5.0_07, and the Windows system (Slave) is using
1.6.0_04.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can help troubleshoot this problem. I haven't
changed much from the default values, and looking at the docs on the site I
think I'm doing everything right, but it's not working.

Re: Pure Master Slave not working

Posted by Ramit Arora <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joe,
I am getting the same 'out of sync' exception while using pure master/slave
(5.0.0). Were you able to fix the problem in your case? The problem begins
at relatively heavy load (> 50 clients). The performance keeeps degrading &
finally the system hangs. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ramit

Posted by ttmdev <jo...@ttmsolutions.com>.

Posted by alvinj <aa...@pubpress.com>.
Thanks. I think I'm a bit of an idiot for one thing I did, but I still have a
problem.

A quick summary is that I changed the failover URL, but it didn't help. (Per
a page on the site I tried it with two slashes ("failover://(...") and no
slashes ("failover:(..."), but neither worked.) Then as I was testing the
system, I killed the Master, and the Slave came up with this info:

WARN  MasterConnector    - The Master has shutdown
WARN  BrokerService         - Master Failed - starting all connectors
ERROR BrokerService         - Failed to startAllConnectors
INFO  TransportConnector  - Connector vm://localhost Stopped

At first I thought this was bad, but now that the Master is down, it turns
out that I can query the Slave like this:

   browse --amqurl tcp://localhost:61616 TEST.FOO

and it is now showing that my messages are indeed now queued on the Slave,
so the backup really is working.

What I think I did on the Slave earlier was I tried this browse command, and
it just hung up, so I killed it with Control-C. Somehow I turned this into
"I don't have any messages in the Slave queue." But, putting that with what
you wrote, I think I can't query the Slave while the Master is running,
which makes sense.

So I think my only real problem is that the Master is is throwing these
scary-looking exceptions which imply that the Slave is not working:

ERROR MasterBroker - Slave Failed
java.lang.AssertionError: Unsupported Method
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportSupport.request(TransportSupport.java:71)
        (more here ...)

But, since the Slave really does seem to be backing up the Master, my new
questions are "What do these exceptions really mean?", and "How can I fix
the problem?"

Posted by ttmdev <jo...@ttmsolutions.com>.