Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net> on 2016/05/22 12:08:20 UTC

http://www.groovy-lang.org/ down

Hello everybody,

http://www.groovy-lang.org/ seems down since Friday?

Re: http://www.groovy-lang.org/ down

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
It's indeed usually pretty flawless and effective.
Now, I don't fully understand what the ASF is using, but it involved "DNS
slaves", whatever that means.

Posted by Jim Northrop <ja...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Steve Byrne <sb...@gmail.com>.
> On May 22, 2016, at 11:20 AM, Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> And... it's back now!

YAY!!!!!

> Sorry again for the inconvenience, but this was really beyond our control unfortunately.
>
> Regarding your points, Steve:
>
> 1) If a company is stupid to "abandon" a great language like Groovy, too bad for them ;-)

Yes -- absolutely!  It was a dumb idea -- I understand their business reasons I think, but still.... [again, I was speaking of *perceptions* of people outside -- FUD]
And yes, Groovy is a GREAT language!  I wish I had started learning it earlier, would have bypassed Scala altogether!  It's so easy to code in, GDK has tasteful augmentations to the JDK...I'm glad I'm on board now!

> 2) Well, we can't control perception obviously, and I didn't envision a simple DNS domain name transfer would fail so bad. Normally, this kind of process should really be smooth. So it's really really unfortunate that the ASF infra couldn't handle that appropriately and timely. To their defense, it's mostly a team of non-paid volunteers, relying on services granted for free by third-parties, and in this instance, it was really not a smooth and reliable process.

Right -- I understand volunteer software efforts -- been there, done that.   I thought ASF had a "foundation" that was funding some of their costs (just a presumption on my part).

> 3) We're at the wheel, don't worry, even if not full time like we used to.
> Reverting the process wasn't possible, as once you've made the move to transfer a domain name, you can't take it back, so I couldn't have been able to reclaim it. And since the Apache foundation mandates that such domain names be in their control, we would have had to go through that process anyway. So reverting to try again later would have run the risk of two such downtimes, which would be even worse.

Oh -- I know you're in control of the situation.  It's great that Apache was able to provide a home for Groovy, and that Groovy adoption has accelerated since the move!

Thanks again for the explanation, and I'm beyond happy that groovy-lang.org <http://groovy-lang.org/> is back among the living!!!
Steve

Re: http://www.groovy-lang.org/ down

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 8:36 PM, Mario Garcia <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation Guillaume.

You're welcome.

> Just a quick question. I was wondering if, the same way Groovy has a
> mirror in Github, could it be possible to have the Groovy site published as
> a gh-pages? That would work as a possible documentation back-up in the
> future. Of course I don't mean to do it any time soon, but it could be a
> nice (partial) solution if any of this happens again in the future.

Might be an option, yes.
There's the home-grown Apache CMS as well.
There are options for sure.
The thing is that it's related to our release process.
Currently, everything runs off of the same external server (not an Apache
server, which is a problem for the ASF), so our Continuous Integration
server actually builds the whole project, its documentation and website,
and pushes the pages around on the same machine. So things are (somewhat)
"easy", but moving to some different option will mean moving files around
through the network, with the possible unreliability issues of moving big
things around.
But ultimately, we do have to find a solution to this, so that we comply
with Apache guidelines anyway.

Guillaume

Posted by Jim Northrop <ja...@googlemail.com>.
Would love to see a mirror groovy doc.s site like say, groovy-lang.net so if one is down we have a spare. Doc.s publish would push to two targets but quite do-able.

Sent from my iPad

Posted by Mario Garcia <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
And... it's back now!

Posted by Steve Byrne <sb...@gmail.com>.

2) _Without warning_ the groovy-lang.org <http://groovy-lang.org/> site *DISAPPEARS*.   "Oh well,", people think, "looks like Groovy is done for.  _Glad we did not make that decision to depend on Groovy for our go-forward technology_"

*It's time to back out this change*.  Get groovy-lang.org <http://groovy-lang.org/> back on the air ASAP!  Let Apache figure out their issue in parallel, but don't leave this gaping and bleeding wound untreated any longer.  It really looks bad, and I think still at this point, Groovy as a language/runtime/technology cannot afford to look bad, after item 1 above happened.

I really like Groovy and would hate to lose it because of this silly indecent.  And, not having access to groovy-lang.org <http://groovy-lang.org/> (and all the docs about the GDK) is hampering my development (yeah, I could have a local copy, that I replicate onto _each_ of my machines and keep up to date, but why bother?).

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pascal,