Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Ron Grimes <rg...@sinclairoil.com> on 2011/04/25 22:08:41 UTC

Version 2.4 and JAXB (2.1 or 2.2?)

There are two places, at the CXF website, which mention that we need to use JAXB 2.1

http://cxf.apache.org/docs/jax-rs.html

"If Maven is not used then the following JARs will need to be available at the runtime classpath.

For CXF 2.4.0:

	cxf-2.4.0.jar
	jsr311-api-1.1.1.jar
	jaxb-impl-2.1.13.jar
	jaxb-api-2.1.jar"

AND

http://cxf.apache.org/faq.html#FAQ-CanCXFrunwithJDK1.6%3F

"JDK 1.6 incorporates the JAXB reference implementation. However, it incorporates an old version of the RI. CXF does not support this version. As of 1.6_04, this is easy to deal with: you must put the versions of JAXB RI (the 'impl' and 'xjc' jars) that we include with CXF in your classpath. As of this writing, these are version 2.1.6."

However, I notice the apache-cxf-2.4.0 jar is shipped with the jaxb 2.2.1.

So, which is it?

Thanks,

Ron Grimes

Re: Version 2.4 and JAXB (2.1 or 2.2?)

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
The JAXB situation is a bit complicated.   For the full kit, we ship 2.2.1
since that is required for JAX-WS 2.2 certification.   However, for it to
"work", the libs have to be endorsed which is problematic for a lot of people.
Thus, we also test it extensively with 2.1.13 and you can swap out the 2.2.1
jars with teh 2.1.13 jars and it should pretty much just work.

When using Maven, the situation is very complicated.   With Java5, we don't
run into issues with the "in-jdk" versions and thus the 2.2.1 versions work
fine. When on Java5, you'll get the full JAX-WS/JAXB 2.2 stuff.   With Java6,
since we cannot really endorse things for all the various maven plugins, we
pull in the 2.1.13 versions.

If you see any docs that are wrong.  Feel free to fix them or comment on them.
:-)

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp