Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1996/06/21 17:56:11 UTC

Apache ImageMap Troubles (fwd)

imagemap feever hits the net again.

not acked.

=-=-=-
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 11:10:12 +0000
From: Laura Laytham <la...@ocsny.com>
To: apache-bugs@mail.apache.org
Subject: Apache ImageMap Troubles

Hello. Quick issue that I have been battling - how do I make the Apache
server recognize a .map imagemap file when it is NOT stored in /cgi-
bin/imagemaps? From what I hear, the updated versions of the Apache
server by default do this - but where I am at we are running an old
version - .6.5 or so  - and I just the Webmaster trying to make the
"techs" understand how silly it is to restart the dameon and adjust
teh imagemap.conf file everytime we add an imagemap to the server.

Thanks - please send suggestions to laura@ocsny.com

-Laura

Allow me to give you a sampling of the issues:

In the conf directory

/usr/sbin/httpd/conf# ls
access.conf    httpd.conf     imagemap.conf  mime.types     srm.conf

/usr/sbin/httpd/conf# more imagemap.conf
# should be in format name : path
# name is name of the mapping
# path is full path to the map configuration file for this mapping
# see file://localhost/home/ultra/httpd_1.3/docs/setup/admin/
Imagemap.html
# for more info

basex : /usr/sbin/httpd/cgi-bin/imagemaps/basex.map
basexheader : /usr/sbin/httpd/cgi-bin/imagemaps/basexheader.map

/usr/sbin/httpd/conf# more srm.conf
# With this document, you define the name space that users see of your
http
# server.

# See the tutorials at http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/tutorials/ for
# more information.

# Rob (robm@ncsa.uiuc.edu)

# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
# documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory,
but
# symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.

DocumentRoot /usr/sbin/httpd/ocsny

# UserDir: The name of the directory which is appended onto a user's
home
# directory if a ~user request is recieved.

UserDir public_html

# DirectoryIndex: Name of the file to use as a pre-written HTML
# directory index

DirectoryIndex index.html

# FancyIndexing is whether you want fancy directory indexing or
standard

FancyIndexing on

# AddIcon tells the server which icon to show for different files or
filename
# extensions

AddIconByType (TXT,/icons/text.xbm) text/*
AddIconByType (IMG,/icons/image.xbm) image/*
AddIconByType (SND,/icons/sound.xbm) audio/*
AddIcon /icons/movie.xbm .mpg .qt
AddIcon /icons/binary.xbm .bin

AddIcon /icons/back.xbm ..
AddIcon /icons/menu.xbm ^^DIRECTORY^^
AddIcon /icons/blank.xbm ^^BLANKICON^^

# DefaultIcon is which icon to show for files which do not have an icon
# explicitly set.

DefaultIcon /icons/unknown.xbm

# AddDescription allows you to place a short description after a file
in
# server-generated indexes.
# Format: AddDescription "description" filename

# ReadmeName is the name of the README file the server will look for by
# default. Format: ReadmeName name
#
# The server will first look for name.html, include it if found, and it
will
# then look for name and include it as plaintext if found.
#
# HeaderName is the name of a file which should be prepended to
# directory indexes.

ReadmeName README
HeaderName HEADER

# IndexIgnore is a set of filenames which directory indexing should
ignore
# Format: IndexIgnore name1 name2...

IndexIgnore */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README*

# AccessFileName: The name of the file to look for in each directory
# for access control information.

AccessFileName .htaccess

# DefaultType is the default MIME type for documents which the server
# cannot find the type of from filename extensions.

DefaultType text/plain

# AddType allows you to tweak mime.types without actually editing it,
or to
# make certain files to be certain types.
# Format: AddType type/subtype ext1

# AddEncoding allows you to have certain browsers (Mosaic/X 2.1+)
uncompress
# information on the fly. Note: Not all browsers support this.

#AddEncoding x-compress Z
#AddEncoding x-gzip gz

# Redirect allows you to tell clients about documents which used to
exist in
# your server's namespace, but do not anymore. This allows you to tell
the
# clients where to look for the relocated document.
# Format: Redirect fakename url

Redirect /lawmall  http://www.lawmall.com
# Aliases: Add here as many aliases as you need, up to 20. The format
is
# Alias fakename realname

Alias /icons/ /usr/sbin/httpd/icons/

# ScriptAlias: This controls which directories contain server scripts.
# Format: ScriptAlias fakename realname

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/sbin/httpd/cgi-bin/

# If you want to use server side includes, or CGI outside
# ScriptAliased directories, uncomment the following lines.

#AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .shtml
AddType application/x-httpd-cgi .cgi
AddType application/x-type-map          var
AddType application/x-httpd-imap        map

/usr/sbin/httpd/conf# more httpd.conf
# This is the main server configuration file. It is best to
# leave the directives in this file in the order they are in, or
# things may not go the way you'd like. See URL http://
hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/
# for instructions.

# Do NOT simply read the instructions in here without understanding
# what they do, if you are unsure consult the online docs. You have
been
# warned.

# Rob McCool (comments, questions to httpd@ncsa.uiuc.edu)

# ServerType is either inetd, or standalone.

ServerType standalone

# If you are running from inetd, go to "ServerAdmin".

# Port: The port the standalone listens to. For ports < 1023, you will
# need httpd to be run as root initially.

Port 80

# If you wish httpd to run as a different user or group, you must run
# httpd as root initially and it will switch.

# User/Group: The name (or #number) of the user/group to run httpd as.

User nobody
Group #-1

# ServerAdmin: Your address, where problems with the server should be
# e-mailed.

ServerAdmin ultra@ocsny.com

# ServerRoot: The directory the server's config, error, and log files
# are kept in

ServerRoot /usr/sbin/httpd

# ErrorLog: The location of the error log file. If this does not start
# with /, ServerRoot is prepended to it.

ErrorLog logs/error_log

# TransferLog: The location of the transfer log file. If this does not
# start with /, ServerRoot is prepended to it.

TransferLog logs/access_log

# PidFile: The file the server should log its pid to
PidFile logs/httpd.pid

# ServerName allows you to set a host name which is sent back to
clients for
# your server if it's different than the one the program would get
(i.e. use
# "www" instead of the host's real name).
#
# Note: You cannot just invent host names and hope they work. The name
you
# define here must be a valid DNS name for your host. If you don't
understand
# this, ask your network administrator.

ServerName www.ocsny.com

BindAddress *

#<VirtualHost www.basex.com>
#ServerAdmin webmaster@basex.com
#DocumentRoot /usr/sbin/httpd/basex
#ErrorLog basex/logs/error_log
#TransferLog basex/logs/access_log
#</VirtualHost>

#<VirtualHost www.nycms.org>
#ServerAdmin webmaster@basex.com
#DocumentRoot /usr/sbin/httpd/nycms
#ErrorLog nycms/logs/error_log
#TransferLog nycms/logs/access_log
#</VirtualHost>

#<VirtualHost www.cameronassoc.com>
#ServerAdmin webmaster@cameronassoc.com
#DocumentRoot /usr/sbin/httpd/cameronassoc
#ErrorLog cameronassoc/logs/error_log
#TransferLog cameronassoc/logs/access_log
#</VirtualHost>

#<VirtualHost www.digipres.com>
#ServerAdmin webmaster@digipres.com
#DocumentRoot /usr/sbin/httpd/digipres
#ErrorLog digipres/logs/error_log
#TransferLog digipres/logs/access_log
#</VirtualHost>

#<VirtualHost www.lawmall.com>
#ServerAdmin webmaster@lawmall.com
#DocumentRoot /usr/sbin/httpd/lawmall/
#ErrorLog lawmall/logs/error_log
#TransferLog lawmall/logs/access_log
#</VirtualHost>

#<VirtualHost www.customs.com>
#ServerAdmin webmaster@customs.com
#DocumentRoot /usr/sbin/httpd/customs/
#ErrorLog customs/logs/error_log
#TransferLog customs/logs/access_log
#</VirtualHost>

#<VirtualHost www.uspolitics.com>
#ServerAdmin webmaster@uspolitics.com
#DocumentRoot /usr/sbin/httpd/uspolitics/
#ErrorLog uspolitics/logs/error_log
#TransferLog uspolitics/logs/access_log
#</VirtualHost>

#<VirtualHost www.bestpages.com>
#ServerAdmin webmaster@bestpages.com
#DocumentRoot /usr/sbin/httpd/bestpages/
#ErrorLog bestpages/logs/error_log
#TransferLog bestpages/logs/access_log
#</VirtualHost>

#<VirtualHost www.mah.com>
#ServerAdmin webmaster@basex.com
#DocumentRoot /usr/sbin/httpd/mah/
#ErrorLog mah/logs/error_log
#TransferLog mah/logs/access_log
#</VirtualHost>

#<VirtualHost www.geekgeer.com>
#ServerAdmin dellner@geekgeer.com
#DocumentRoot /usr/sbin/httpd/geekgeer/
#ErrorLog geekgeer/logs/error_log
#TransferLog geekgeer/logs/access_log
#</VirtualHost>

#<VirtualHost www.geekgear.com>

#<VirtualHost www.geekwear.com>
#ServerAdmin dellner@geekgeer.com
#DocumentRoot /usr/sbin/httpd/geekgeer/
#ErrorLog geekgeer/logs/error_log
#TransferLog geekgeer/logs/access_log
#</VirtualHost>

#<VirtualHost www.nymall.com>
#ServerAdmin george@nymall.com
#DocumentRoot /usr/sbin/httpd/nymall/
#ErrorLog nymall/logs/error_log
#TransferLog nymall/logs/access_log
#</VirtualHost>

#<VirtualHost www.ttsystems.com>
#ServerAdmin george@nymall.com
#DocumentRoot /usr/sbin/httpd/ttsystems/
#ErrorLog ttsystems/logs/error_log
#TransferLog ttsystems/logs/access_log
#</VirtualHost>

/usr/sbin/httpd/conf#