Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Karl Lehenbauer <ka...@sc.com> on 2004/12/03 04:24:25 UTC

Completing the migration to autoconf/configure

"make install" will actually put mod_rivet.so in the correct place.

It will put librivet.so and librivetparser.so in the wrong place...

...and it completely punts on the rest of the install.

Although we can exhaustively migrate the entire install from make.tcl
to autoconf/automake, automake supports custom install hooks via
install-exec-local and install-data-local rules, and also has a hook
thing, it's not hard to imagine adapting make.tcl's install to still do
the install, that is, the population of the runtime rivet tree.

So I'm leaning that way.  Thoughts?

Re: Completing the migration to autoconf/configure

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch> writes:

> > > I seem to have beaten it into (better) shape.  It seems to put
> > > things in more or less the right places now.  Still don't do the
> > > Tcl file installations, or the pkgIndex.tcl files.  And it's
> > > still missing a biggy - the ability to work more or less
> > > correctly with @prefix@...  We'll see, I guess...  I think I've
> > > finally cracked a few of the auto* secrets.

> > Don't miss the opportunity to write up your newfound knowledge for
> > the masses.  Auto* is an opaque tool to say the least, and any leg
> > up for those not interested in an entirely auto* view of builds
> > will thank you for it!!

> Yes please. I could definitly need some insight to get some issues
> in Websh resolved ... :-)

1) Sacrifice a chicken.

2) What I ended up with in my Makefile.am (automake) file is this:

apxs_libexecdir = @APXS_LIBEXECDIR@
apxs_libexec_LTLIBRARIES = mod_rivet.la

# ... and these two.  We want to put the libs in the package path,
# rather than the standard library location for the system.
lib_libexecdir = @TCL_PACKAGE_PATH@/rivet
lib_libexec_LTLIBRARIES = librivet.la librivetparser.la

As to how the names are related, I can only guess what the exact
pattern is.  This stuff is, after all, black magic.

In any case, by using DESTDIR, we don't need to worry abouth the
--prefix too much.  In the case of Debian, which is where I'm worried
about installing stuff, running make install DESTDIR=/blah/blah
obtains the desired results.

--
David N. Welton
Personal:                   http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Re: Completing the migration to autoconf/configure

Posted by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch>.
> > I seem to have beaten it into (better) shape.  It seems to put things
> > in more or less the right places now.  Still don't do the Tcl file
> > installations, or the pkgIndex.tcl files.  And it's still missing a
> > biggy - the ability to work more or less correctly with @prefix@...
> > We'll see, I guess...  I think I've finally cracked a few of the auto*
> > secrets.
>
> Don't miss the opportunity to write up your newfound knowledge for the
> masses.  Auto* is an opaque tool to say the least, and any leg up for
> those not interested in an entirely auto* view of builds will thank you
> for it!!

Yes please. I could definitly need some insight to get some
issues in Websh resolved ... :-)

Ronnie

Re: Completing the migration to autoconf/configure

Posted by "Robert S. Sciuk" <ro...@controlq.com>.
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, David N. Welton wrote:

> I seem to have beaten it into (better) shape.  It seems to put things
> in more or less the right places now.  Still don't do the Tcl file
> installations, or the pkgIndex.tcl files.  And it's still missing a
> biggy - the ability to work more or less correctly with @prefix@...
> We'll see, I guess...  I think I've finally cracked a few of the auto*
> secrets.

Don't miss the opportunity to write up your newfound knowledge for the
masses.  Auto* is an opaque tool to say the least, and any leg up for
those not interested in an entirely auto* view of builds will thank you
for it!!

Cheers,
Rob.

Re: Completing the migration to autoconf/configure

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
davidw@dedasys.com (David N. Welton) writes:

> I seem to have beaten it into (better) shape.  It seems to put things
> in more or less the right places now.  Still don't do the Tcl file
> installations, or the pkgIndex.tcl files.  And it's still missing a
> biggy - the ability to work more or less correctly with @prefix@...
> We'll see, I guess...  I think I've finally cracked a few of the auto*
> secrets.

Ok.

I now have it doing the pkgIndex.tcl file.

It also works with make DESTDIR=/blah/blah/ install so that it's
possible to build Debian packages.

Now it's time for others to check it out and test it.

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.

Posted by Karl Lehenbauer <ka...@sc.com>.

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Ok, got the XML hacking stuff squared away more or less.

The last bit is the installation crud...

* librivet.so is in the wrong place.

* install the Tcl packages.

* Generate pkgIndex.tcl files.

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
I tried to add the HTML generators in doc/ but I think I don't think I
got it quite right... they're not built automatically.

I think I do want to try and get everything under the auto* crud, so
that building Debian packages, for example, is easier.

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Karl Lehenbauer <ka...@sc.com> writes:

> "make install" will actually put mod_rivet.so in the correct place.

> It will put librivet.so and librivetparser.so in the wrong place...

> ...and it completely punts on the rest of the install.

Ok...  One other thing to keep in mind is the test suite.  That should
be easy to run without doing a make install.

> Although we can exhaustively migrate the entire install from
> make.tcl to autoconf/automake, automake supports custom install
> hooks via install-exec-local and install-data-local rules, and also
> has a hook thing, it's not hard to imagine adapting make.tcl's
> install to still do the install, that is, the population of the
> runtime rivet tree.

> So I'm leaning that way.  Thoughts?

Hrm.  I'd just as soon get rid of it and the associated support files
completely rather than leaving little relics around.  If we go this
way, let's just write one Tcl script that does the whole thing.

BTW, I think you forgot to check in config.h.in...