Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Wayne Woodfield <ja...@woodfieldfamily.org> on 2004/05/04 18:52:35 UTC

[dbcp] AbandonedObjectPool - why deprecated?

I've noticed that org.apache.commons.dbcp.AbandonedObjectPool is
deprecated, along with any class related to removing abandoned
connections .  Is there a plan to replace these with something else?  I
really like the removeAbandoned functionality, and I've got some
enhancement ideas for it that I'd like to suggest and code.  But I won't
be doing anything more with it if it's just going to go away anyway :-)

Wayne

Re: [dbcp] AbandonedObjectPool - why deprecated?

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.
The original reason for deprecation was the danger in reusing a
abandoned connection without knowing if it is safe to do so. There was
a discussion about it in april 2003. Some people wanted to remove it
completely.

I took a different approach. In 1.1 an abandoned connection will not
be reused but closed (and a new one created).
The classes remained deprecated.

The abandoned connection feature on BasicDataSource will remain
supported in one form or another.

-- Dirk