Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Dyrdahl, Steve" <sd...@idanalytics.com> on 2003/07/23 23:39:36 UTC

[VFS] ftp usage problem

I have encountered a problem where my starting uri is something similar
to:
ftp://user:password@hostname/dir1/dir2/

I would like to be able to do a listing on dir2 to determine what files
exist.  I have privileges to list dir2, but not dir1.  I am using the
resolveFile method which makes no assumption about the type of dir2.  An
attempt is made to list dir1 to determine the type of dir2 which, in my
case, fails.

It seems to me that the interface needs an easy way of allowing the user
to resolve a directory which would skip the is this a directory
checking.  I understand that this is less than clean.  However, the
scenario described above is extremely common.

As a work around, various classes could be made public, but this seems
to be more of a hack.

sd