Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Jörg Schad <jo...@mesosphere.io> on 2016/01/14 13:44:17 UTC

Links in documentation

Hi,
just a short note about links in our documentation.
In the current documentation we use three different ways to link between
different *.md pages:
1. [label](/documentation/latest/foo/)
2. [label](foo.md)
3. [label](https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/docs/foo.md)

First of all, option 3 should *not* be used as it is rendered incorrectly
onto website* and rather long.

Between option 1 and 2 Neil and myself discussed (MESOS-4295) and are
favoring option 2 as it
- previews better on github
- is shorter
- is easier to maintain multiple versions of the same doc.

Any comments or objections?

Thanks for your feedback!

*In fact it seems that all links ending with .md are interpreted as
relative links on the webpage, i.e. [label](https://test.com/foo.md) is
rendered into <a href="/documentation/latest/https://test.com/foo/
">label</a>.

Re: Links in documentation

Posted by Kevin Klues <kl...@gmail.com>.
So by 2 you mean relative links to the *.md files vs 3 which is
absolute (from the repos topdir).
If so, +1

--
~Kevin

Re: Links in documentation

Posted by Jörg Schad <jo...@mesosphere.io>.
FYI: We fixed
- the linking to external .md files (MESOS-4384),
- an issue of linking to anchors,
- and also unified links to md pages inside our documentation as proposed
above (MESOS-4295).

Re: Links in documentation

Posted by Neil Conway <ne...@gmail.com>.

Re: Links in documentation