Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Miller, Hugh" <Hu...@chevron.com> on 2008/10/31 21:16:13 UTC

svn 1.5.2 - does not want to import files of type .so or .a

I've started using svn 1.5.2. It doesn't seem to import or commit shared
object lib files or archives (e.g., lib...something.so or
lib...something.a).

Have things changed in this regard for 1.5.2 ? This used to work in
1.4.3

Thanks!

-

Hugh Miller

hughmiller@chevron.com

RE: svn 1.5.2 - does not want to import files of type .so or .a

Posted by "Miller, Hugh" <Hu...@chevron.com>.

Thanks all! I'll work with the config file.

Re: svn 1.5.2 - does not want to import files of type .so or .a

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2008/11/1 Hyrum K. Wright <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>:
> Konstantin Kolinko wrote:

>>> Nothing should have changed. Subversion has no built-in prejudice against
>>> (nor even any built-in knowledge of) any filetypes.
>>>
>>> (...)
>>
>> No, it has.
>> The default value for the global-ignores option is not empty.
>
> Uh, the default value for global-ignores *is* empty.  See below...
>
>> The value can be seen in the sources (as some #define there), and
>> is also written as a comment into the subversion config file when
>> it is auto-created for the first time.
>>
>> In svn 1.5.0 it is
>> # global-ignores = *.o *.lo *.la *.al .libs *.so *.so.[0-9]* *.a *.pyc *.pyo
>> #   *.rej *~ #*# .#* .*.swp .DS_Store
>
> These lines are commented out, and have no bearing on the default operation of
> Subversion.  Of course, if you choose to uncomment them, or an administrator
> does, these patterns will be ignored, but it isn't the default setting.
>
>> Note, that the value differs between svn 1.4 and 1.5. That is, you should
>> start with empty configuration files to get them rewritten and to see
>> the recent value of comment, or look into the sources.
>>
>> The default value for 1.5 includes pattern for *.so files, while the one
>> of 1.4 does not, and I was once caught by the change.
>
> I think the only file type the Subversion ignores out-of-the-box is .o files
> (but certain other generated binary types may there also).  To see what is being
> ignored, run: 'svn st --no-ignore'.  Also, just because a file is being ignored,
> does *not* mean you can't manually add it.  After adding it using 'svn add', it
> will be treated like all other versioned files.

Maybe you are confusing the global-ignores setting with auto-props one?
The auto-props are empty be default, but global-ignores setting is not.

Well, I cited a snippet from the config file comment, because it is
simpler to see them there, but if one wish to look into the sources,
it is there:

/subversion/include/svn_config.h

#define SVN_CONFIG__DEFAULT_GLOBAL_IGNORES_LINE_1 \
  "*.o *.lo *.la *.al .libs *.so *.so.[0-9]* *.a *.pyc *.pyo"
#define SVN_CONFIG__DEFAULT_GLOBAL_IGNORES_LINE_2 \
  "*.rej *~ #*# .#* .*.swp .DS_Store"

#define SVN_CONFIG_DEFAULT_GLOBAL_IGNORES \
  SVN_CONFIG__DEFAULT_GLOBAL_IGNORES_LINE_1 " " \
  SVN_CONFIG__DEFAULT_GLOBAL_IGNORES_LINE_2

and the value is read and used here:
/subversion/libsvn_wc/status.c

Also, besides my personal experience, I have already seen this question
several times at the TortoiseSVN mailing list  E.g.,
http://svn.haxx.se/tsvnusers/archive-2008-09/0579.shtml

To get rid of the defaults, just explicitly define global-ignores setting
in the config file to be empty.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

RE: svn 1.5.2 - does not want to import files of type .so or .a

Posted by "Miller, Hugh" <Hu...@chevron.com>.

The global-ignores values in the .subversion/config file are as you
indicate for the userid I am using. The ignore line is commented out.

Are there any other places an ignore might possibly be being set ? The
version was not compiled by me; is there some build option that might
have been set so that svn ignores certain file types ?

Using --no-ignore on import does result in the files being put in the
repository, so I do have a work-around for now.

Thanks,
Hugh

Re: svn 1.5.2 - does not want to import files of type .so or .a

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2008/11/1 Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>:
>> On Oct 31, 2008, at 16:16, Miller, Hugh wrote:
>>
>>> I've started using svn 1.5.2. It doesn't seem to import or commit shared
>>> object lib files or archives (e.g., lib…something.so or lib…something.a).
>>>
>>> Have things changed in this regard for 1.5.2 ? This used to work in 1.4.3
>> Nothing should have changed. Subversion has no built-in prejudice against
>> (nor even any built-in knowledge of) any filetypes.
>>
>> (...)
>
> No, it has.
> The default value for the global-ignores option is not empty.

Uh, the default value for global-ignores *is* empty.  See below...

> The value can be seen in the sources (as some #define there), and
> is also written as a comment into the subversion config file when
> it is auto-created for the first time.
>
> In svn 1.5.0 it is
> # global-ignores = *.o *.lo *.la *.al .libs *.so *.so.[0-9]* *.a *.pyc *.pyo
> #   *.rej *~ #*# .#* .*.swp .DS_Store

These lines are commented out, and have no bearing on the default operation of
Subversion.  Of course, if you choose to uncomment them, or an administrator
does, these patterns will be ignored, but it isn't the default setting.

> Note, that the value differs between svn 1.4 and 1.5. That is, you should
> start with empty configuration files to get them rewritten and to see
> the recent value of comment, or look into the sources.
>
> The default value for 1.5 includes pattern for *.so files, while the one
> of 1.4 does not, and I was once caught by the change.

I think the only file type the Subversion ignores out-of-the-box is .o files
(but certain other generated binary types may there also).  To see what is being
ignored, run: 'svn st --no-ignore'.  Also, just because a file is being ignored,
does *not* mean you can't manually add it.  After adding it using 'svn add', it
will be treated like all other versioned files.

-Hyrum

Re: svn 1.5.2 - does not want to import files of type .so or .a

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 31, 2008, at 20:31, Miller, Hugh wrote:

>> On Oct 31, 2008, at 16:16, Miller, Hugh wrote:
>>
>>> I've started using svn 1.5.2. It doesn't seem to import or commit
>>> shared object lib files or archives (e.g., lib...something.so or
>>> lib... something.a).
>>>
>>> Have things changed in this regard for 1.5.2 ? This used to work in
>>> 1.4.3
>>
>> Nothing should have changed. Subversion has no built-in prejudice
>> against (nor even any built-in knowledge of) any filetypes.
>>
>> In what way does it seem that you can't import or commit these files?
>> What error do you get?
>
> When I do a import of a file tree, all the .so and .a are not found
> afterwards in the repository. No error message returned to the command
> line.

Sounds like the files are being ignored.

>> What OS are you on, on what kind of processor?
>> How is the repository being served -- svnserve or apache2? Do you
>> have .so and/or .a files ignored in your client's global-ignores
>> config directive?
>
> I'm on rhel4.6, amd opteron 250 (64-bit), repository file:///...; did
> not consciously add ignores to the config directives.

What is the global-ignores variable set to in your config file?

Alternately, is there an svn:ignore property on the directory you're
importing and/or committing into, and if so, what is its value?

P.S: Use Reply All so your reply goes to the list too, not just to me.

Re: svn 1.5.2 - does not want to import files of type .so or .a

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 31, 2008, at 16:16, Miller, Hugh wrote:

> I’ve started using svn 1.5.2. It doesn’t seem to import or commit
> shared object lib files or archives (e.g., lib…something.so or lib…
> something.a).
>
> Have things changed in this regard for 1.5.2 ? This used to work in
> 1.4.3

Nothing should have changed. Subversion has no built-in prejudice
against (nor even any built-in knowledge of) any filetypes.

In what way does it seem that you can't import or commit these files?
What error do you get? What OS are you on, on what kind of processor?