Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2003/08/12 15:40:38 UTC

[VOTE] Let's use archive.apache.org

Hi,

as some of you may know, there is a new virtual host called
archive.apache.org that is supposed to be the source for software
archeologists, much as our ant.apache.org/old-releases folder is now.

archive.apache.org is setup to rsync from www.apache.org/dist without
ever deleting anything, this means all new releases will end up there
eventually at one point in time.

I've gone ahead and copied over the contents of our old-releases
folder to this box and want to propose that we start using it instead
of /old-releases from now on.

The benefits I see:

* It is on cvs.apache.org, every committer has access to it.

* You don't need to copy files around after a release, just remove the
  non-zips.

* At a point in time, mirrors may want to pick up archive.apache.org
  as well - so we'd benefit from mirroring even for our old releases.

* we'd remove downloads and not (CVS-)controlled content from our
  website.

If this is accepted, I volunteer to update our ReleaseInstructions.

Stefan

BTW, I found that the source distribution of Ant 1.2 doesn't have a
signature - the binary distribution is signed.  Does anybody have an
old copy of the ZIP archive and can verify that the file on
archive.apache.org (or /old-releases) is the file it claims to be?  If
so, please sign it (or let me do it).

Re: [VOTE] Let's use archive.apache.org

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com>.
+1

Cheers,

Antoine

PS : congrats too for ant 1.5.4

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:40 pm, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> If this is accepted, I volunteer to update our ReleaseInstructions.

+1

Having archiving of old release happen automatcially would be great.

Conor