Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> on 2003/04/06 09:31:08 UTC

release notes tidy-up and announcement.xsl

The announcement.xml file was including the file changes.xml
So now the announcement is busted. We could get it to use
the new status.xml instead. However ...

Do we really want to dump the whole release notes out with
an announcement? There may be too many when 2.1 is announced.
There are about 210 entries now and there would be many more
if we described all of the changes. That makes a really big
announcement email.

So should we have a new section in announcement.xml to
list the really important things. An alternative is to
add an "announce" attribute to certain entries in the
status.xml/changes section.

A related issue is that the release notes need to be tidied.
As it has been such a long time for this release, there are
now some entries which over-ride earlier entries. For example,
i can see many of my entries that do not make sense anymore.
I suggest that each of us tidy our own area of interest.

--David

RE: release notes tidy-up and announcement.xsl

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
<snip/>
> > Good point. I was only considering that we fine-tune the 2.1 revisions.
> > Actually, i wonder if the changes files are already out-of-sync
> > between cocoon-2.1 and cocoon-2.0 - i know that when i made changes
> > to cocoon-2.0 then i did not update the list in 2.1 as well.
>
> With every release (2.0.3, 2.0.4) I tried to sync the changes, because
> the 2.1 changes list should contain the changes for version 2.0.4 as well.
> So, I compared the two lists and synced them by hand (which is a
> very nice task ;) ). - So, for 2.0.4 they should be in sync.

Wow, it is amazing how much effort some people go to
behind-the-scenes and the rest of us are not aware.
Good on you, Carsten.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
David Crossley wrote:
> There is no DTD for status.xml (and that is another issue).
>
> To get it working we only need to modify the stylesheet that
> creates the announcement to only show the "announce" entries
> (and use status.xml instead).

Ok, so +1 for it.

> > > A related issue is that the release notes need to be tidied.
> > > As it has been such a long time for this release, there are
> > > now some entries which over-ride earlier entries. For example,
> > > i can see many of my entries that do not make sense anymore.
> > > I suggest that each of us tidy our own area of interest.
> >
> > Ok, but please try to keep the changes list of the 2.0.x version
> > in sync.
>
> Good point. I was only considering that we fine-tune the 2.1 revisions.
> Actually, i wonder if the changes files are already out-of-sync
> between cocoon-2.1 and cocoon-2.0 - i know that when i made changes
> to cocoon-2.0 then i did not update the list in 2.1 as well.

With every release (2.0.3, 2.0.4) I tried to sync the changes, because
the 2.1 changes list should contain the changes for version 2.0.4 as well.
So, I compared the two lists and synced them by hand (which is a
very nice task ;) ). - So, for 2.0.4 they should be in sync.

Carsten

RE: release notes tidy-up and announcement.xsl

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
David Crossley wrote:

> The announcement.xml file was including the file changes.xml
> So now the announcement is busted. We could get it to use
> the new status.xml instead. However ...
>
> Do we really want to dump the whole release notes out with
> an announcement? There may be too many when 2.1 is announced.
> There are about 210 entries now and there would be many more
> if we described all of the changes. That makes a really big
> announcement email.
>
> So should we have a new section in announcement.xml to
> list the really important things. An alternative is to
> add an "announce" attribute to certain entries in the
> status.xml/changes section.
I think we discussed this months ago and decided to mark some
entries as "announce", yes. What do we need to do for this
to get it working? Change the DTD for status.xml?

> A related issue is that the release notes need to be tidied.
> As it has been such a long time for this release, there are
> now some entries which over-ride earlier entries. For example,
> i can see many of my entries that do not make sense anymore.
> I suggest that each of us tidy our own area of interest.

Ok, but please try to keep the changes list of the 2.0.x version
in sync.

Carsten

Carsten Ziegeler
Open Source Group, S&N AG