Posted to user@metron.apache.org by Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk> on 2017/10/10 07:48:32 UTC

Snort

Hi,

Can I use snort in packet capture mode with metron? By default it works in
IDS mode only.

Regards.

Re: Snort

Posted by Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>.
I did all of that and then did vagrant up again. Snort is still not
installed. Will I have to vagrant destroy and then vagrant up again in
order for it to work?

Re: Snort

Posted by Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>.

Re: Snort

Posted by "Zeolla@GMail.com" <ze...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Should I edit the vagrant file using text editor and what exactly should I
> edit there?
>
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 3:54 PM, Simon Elliston Ball <
> simon@simonellistonball.com> wrote:
>
>> I would recommend just using a text editor if you’re not familiar with
>> sed. To solve your sed problem…
>>
>> sed -i.bak "s/ansibleSkipTags=.*/ansibleSkipTags=\'quick_dev\'/"
>> metron-deployment/vagrant/full-dev-platform/Vagrantfile
>>
>> sed -i  means run the sed command (in this case a find replace) inplace
>> on the file, the text following the -i is the name to append to a backup
>> version (ie the original file unchanged).
>>
>> Metron does tend to assume a good knowledge of linux admin, you’ll find
>> we have a lot of shell gurus in the community, but if you’re struggling
>> with this, maybe a simple text editor would be easier. All you’re trying to
>> do here is change a config value.
>>
>> Simon
>>
>> On 19 Oct 2017, at 11:46, Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk> wrote:
>>
>> Ran it without -i swtich, gives this:
>>
>> <image.png>
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 2:56 PM, Zeolla@GMail.com <ze...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The sed command is falling.  It's written for a Mac so it will need an
>>> alteration to be portable.  Run it without the '' after -i, from
>>> ~/metron-master
>>>
>>> Jon

>>> Jon
>>>

> --

Jon

Re: Snort

Posted by Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>.

Re: Snort

Posted by Simon Elliston Ball <si...@simonellistonball.com>.
I would recommend just using a text editor if you’re not familiar with sed. To solve your sed problem…

sed -i.bak "s/ansibleSkipTags=.*/ansibleSkipTags=\'quick_dev\'/" metron-deployment/vagrant/full-dev-platform/Vagrantfile

Re: Snort

Posted by Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>.
Ran it without -i swtich, gives this:

[image: Inline image 1]

Re: Snort

Posted by "Zeolla@GMail.com" <ze...@gmail.com>.
The sed command is falling.  It's written for a Mac so it will need an
alteration to be portable.  Run it without the '' after -i, from
~/metron-master

Jon

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017, 04:07 Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk> wrote:

> I did what this guide said to install the original sensor:
>
> https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/metron-deployment/roles/sensor-stubs
>
> Still didnt work. How do I install snort into this?
>

> On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>
> wrote:
>
>> Maybe I did something wrong
>>
>> [image: Inline image 1]
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 6:03 AM, Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, thankyou. It will install all the sensors (bro, snort etc) ?

> --

Jon

Re: Snort

Posted by Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>.

Re: Snort

Posted by Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>.
Maybe I did something wrong

Re: Snort

Posted by Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>.

Re: Snort

Posted by "Zeolla@GMail.com" <ze...@gmail.com>.
When you set up full dev if you remove the sensors skip tag it will set up
snort for you.  I have a sed one liner in my bro security patch pr to do
this, just need to do it before vagrant up.

sed -i '' "s/ansibleSkipTags=.*/ansibleSkipTags=\'quick_dev\'/"
metron-deployment/vagrant/full-dev-platform/Vagrantfile
cd metron-deployment/vagrant/full-dev-platform/
vagrant up

Jon

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017, 14:51 Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk> wrote:

> I followed this guide exactly:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=68718548
>
> And the did vagrant up in full-development-platform folder. And Snort is
> not installed because when I type snort -v in vagrant ssh, it returns error
> of not able to find the snort command.
>
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 10:12 PM, Laurens Vets <la...@daemon.be> wrote:
>
>> Hi Syed,
>>
>> I was under the impression that you installed the full-dev environment?
>> If so, snort should already be installed...
>>
>> On 2017-10-18 09:45, Syed Hammad Tahir wrote:
>>
>> It has become a mess. Apparently snort is released for centos 7 whereas
>> metron one is centos 6.8. Whenever I try to install snort it gives me this:
>>
>> [image: Inline image 1]
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Just use those as a guide to run the commands  yourself.

> --

Jon

Re: Snort

Posted by Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>.

Re: Snort

Posted by Laurens Vets <la...@daemon.be>.
Hi Syed,

On 2017-10-18 09:45, Syed Hammad Tahir wrote:

> [...]
>
> Thanks,
> James
>
> 11.10.2017, 23:08, "Syed Hammad Tahir" <ms...@itu.edu.pk>:
>
> You mean that I must start snort from terminal by doing snort -v and then push it to kafka topic? I need to start snort in packet capture mode.
>
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 9:52 PM, James Sirota <js...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Yes, you can use Snort. Metron can consume Snort telemetries out of the box. You have to setup Snort on your own and push the output into a kafka topic (most likely using NiFi). From there on you can use the output of Snort in Metron.
>
> 10.10.2017, 00:48, "Syed Hammad Tahir" <ms...@itu.edu.pk>:
>
> Hi,
>
> Can I use snort in packet capture mode with metron? By default it works in IDS mode only.

-------------------
Thank you,

James Sirota
PMC- Apache Metron