Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by plester3738 <pa...@emainc.com> on 2009/05/22 17:28:23 UTC

Is it possible: Stop large message already in progress?

We have a requirement where we must prioritize messages prior to placing them
in an ActiveMQ queue. However, we are variable bandwidth connection that
could degrade during application operation.

If we are sending a large object, say an image of 5 MB, and our bandwidth
degrades during the send, we need to be able to stop the currently
in-progress ActiveMQ message so that a higher priority, smaller message can
go first. We can place the image back into the queue later.

Is there a way to stop a message that has already started down the line via
JMX or directly?

Re: Is it possible: Stop large message already in progress?

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
the answer may be in an inactivity monitor. However I think what you need is
the existing behavior that is only aware of complete message transfer rather
than a message in progress. See some of the detail in
https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-2088 which makes the
inactivity monitor aware of a transfer that is in progress.

For you, I think this new behaviour (from 2088) needs to be optional. Also
see: http://cwiki.apache.org/ACTIVEMQ/slow-networks-drop-large-messages.html

2009/5/22 plester3738 <pa...@emainc.com>

> We have a requirement where we must prioritize messages prior to placing
> them
> in an ActiveMQ queue. However, we are variable bandwidth connection that
> could degrade during application operation.
>
> If we are sending a large object, say an image of 5 MB, and our bandwidth
> degrades during the send, we need to be able to stop the currently
> in-progress ActiveMQ message so that a higher priority, smaller message can
> go first. We can place the image back into the queue later.
>
> Is there a way to stop a message that has already started down the line via
> JMX or directly?

http://blog.garytully.com

Open Source SOA
http://FUSESource.com