Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Michael Schmitt <sc...@TI.FhG.DE> on 2002/11/14 07:46:14 UTC

Authorization when using ra_local

Hello,

first of all: Thanks a lot for an excellent tool!

Unfortunately, despite my enthusiasm, I am facing a tricky problem that
is not described in the manual.

For an in-house project, I set up a svn repository (with subversion
0.15) on a Linux system. For convenience and efficiency, I decided not
to set up a web server but instead to use the ra_local access method.
Everything worked very well, until a collegue wanted to commit his
changes to the repository. AFAICS, the problem is related to the Linux
file access rights. For example, "db/__db.00[1-5]" are only
readable/writeable by myself who has created the repository. But simply
extending the permissions did not solve the problem.

Question: How can I set up a repository in such a way that several
developers can access it via ra_local?

Thanks in advance, Michael

PS: Please reply directly to my email address as I am not regular member
of the mailing list.

Michael Schmitt                       Telefon: +49 651 97551-40
Institut für Telematik                Telefax: +49 651 97551-12
Bahnhofstrasse 30-32                  WWW:     http://www.ti.fhg.de
D-54292 Trier                         E-Mail:  mailto:schmitt@ti.fhg.de

Re: Authorization when using ra_local

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Michael Schmitt <sc...@TI.FhG.DE> writes:

> For example, "db/__db.00[1-5]" are only readable/writeable by myself
> who has created the repository. But simply extending the permissions
> did not solve the problem.

Why not?  How is this problem any different than the general unix
problem of having two users both editing the same file?  Isn't that
what groups are for?

Re: Authorization when using ra_local

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Michael Schmitt <sc...@TI.FhG.DE> writes:
> PS: Is anybody working on a subversion package for xemacs?

Check out:

   tools/client-side/psvn/psvn.el
   tools/client-side/vc-svn.el
   tools/dev/svn-dev.el

Basically, a lot of factorization needs to happen eventually.

Let's try to keep it portable between XEmacs and FSF Emacs, though.
That shouldn't be too hard.

Re: Authorization when using ra_local

Posted by Michael Schmitt <sc...@TI.FhG.DE>.
Karl Fogel wrote:

>Michael Schmitt <sc...@TI.FhG.DE> writes:
>

>>readable/writeable by myself who has created the repository. But
>>simply extending the permissions did not solve the problem.
>>

>We'll need a little more detail than just "extending the permissions"
>:-).
>
>Can you say the exact users/groups, and give an 'ls -lR' of the whole
>repository?

Hmm... it seems like my problem was caused by using subversion 0.14.2
and 0.15 for the same repository.

If you give read/write access to the repository files for a particular
Linux user group, then all users can in fact access the repository
without any problem!

Surprisingly, the owner of the database files does not change with each
access. When I used CVS, new files created by my collegues were placed
in the repository with them being the owner. This caused some headache
occasionally.

I apologize the confusion. Subversion is a great tool!

Regards, Michael

Re: NFS problems with SVN?

Posted by "Ketil Z. Malde" <ke...@ii.uib.no>.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:

> ketil@ii.uib.no (Ketil Z. Malde) writes:

>> I seem to be able to trig NFS hangs when doing SVN operations with
>> ra_local to an NFS mounted volume. Anybody else experience problems?

> Berkeley DB doesn't work over NFS:
>    http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/env/remote.html

Okay, I see.  The fun thing is that it doesn't corrupt the database,
but instead hangs the %%R¤#¤ process, and any processes that
subsequently tries to access the disk.

*sigh* Well, I guess I found one more reason to install WebDAV.

-kzm

Re: NFS problems with SVN?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

NFS problems with SVN?

Posted by "Ketil Z. Malde" <ke...@ii.uib.no>.
Hi,

I seem to be able to trig NFS hangs when doing SVN operations with
ra_local to an NFS mounted volume. Anybody else experience problems?

(This is with Red Hat 7.2 mounting the SVN repository from a Solaris
machine.  I realize this is, as usual, probably Red Hat's fault, but
I'm curious whether it is a known problem, and whether it is possible
to fix it without reinstalling the OS)

-kzm

Re: Authorization when using ra_local

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.