Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Clark D. Richey, Jr." <cr...@speakeasy.net> on 2003/04/22 15:00:59 UTC

odd response from James

When retrieving mail from the POP3 portion of James I get this message:

Task 'clarkrichey.com - Sending and Receiving' reported error
(0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted.  If this
problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service
provider (ISP).  The server responded: ?!K Message follows'

Interestingly enough, I still get the mail from James despite this
message. I am running on Redhat Linux 8.0 with James 2.1.2. Any
thoughts?

RE: odd response from James

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
perhaps the connection timeout setting is too low?

Re: Norton Antivirus (was: odd response from James)

Posted by Tim Roberts <tr...@speakeasy.net>.
Sorry - poorly chosen wording in my reply.  I didn't mean to say James was
specifically in error.  I meant to say that James is somehow triggering the
bug in Norton whereas qmail doesn't seem to be doing it.  I had some spam
that will consistenly trigger the bug when sent from James but not when sent
from qmail (for whatever reason).  My only point in the reply was that
Outlook was not the cause because I can trigger the same from a telnet
session...

RE: Norton Antivirus (was: odd response from James)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I've got to admit - I don't by that excuse.  I run a qmail server and now
> james server (with plans on converting over all the mail to James).

Reports of that error code appear all over the Internet, as well as
appearing on both the Microsoft and Symantec web sites.  I doubt that either
Microsoft or Symantec added their tech notes idlely.

ref: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=0x800CCC0F
     http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=800CCC0F
     http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001060516275506
     http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/1999101412272506
     http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514

Statistically close to zero reports have anything to do with James.
Somewhat more have to do with qmail:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=0x800CCC0F+qmail,
although still a relatively low number.

The common denominator is the local firewall/proxy, of which Norton A/V is a
popular instance for Windows users.

> I can send the same email to both the qmail server and james server.  Then
> retrieve the same email via Outlook express with Nav 2003 checking email.

Good.  Then you are in the perfect position to use a packet sniffer to see
if there is any difference between the two transactions.

> the james will always close the connection early on it

Define early.  James closes the connection either upon a QUIT or a timeout.

> Whoops - forgot to mention the most important piece - even if I telnet to
> the james server and manually type in the commands, the connection gets
> terminated during the DATA command

No surprise.  Guess how Norton A/V works ...

> would love to know how norton intercepts email via telnet
> also.  It must obviously tap windows somewhere in the
> tcp/ip stack.

Exactly.  Older versions created an explicit POP3 proxy and changed your
e-mail settings, but the current version seems to be embedded into the
stack.

Personally, I can't comment on Norton A/V, since I don't use it.  However,
researching this issue keeps pointing back squarely at Norton A/V as the
culprit.  FWIW, 45% of the user comments on C|Net are negative about Norton
A/V 2003, which seems shockingly high for a mainstream product.  On the
other hand, the other 55% of users love it.  Seems to be very binary: it
either works or it doesn't.  I came across a familar sounding lament on the
C|Net site, to wit: "With about 50 individual computers to monitor, [we
bought] Norton 2003 Professional Antivirus, and incoming email protection
needs to be disabled in order to receive email."

Why does Norton A/V work for some and not for others?  Good question.  I
can't answer it, but it is a good question.  That's Symantec's problem.  My
concern is whether or not there is something that we can do in James to be
more accommodating for it.

Danny's suggestion of raising the default timeout might be one thing to try.
Try changing:
         <connectiontimeout>120000</connectiontimeout>
         <connectiontimeout>600000</connectiontimeout>
in the POP3 section, which will change it from 2 minutes to 10 minutes (RFC
1939 actually mandates a minimum 10 minute inactivity timer).

	--- Noel

Re: odd response from James

Posted by Tim Roberts <tr...@speakeasy.net>.
I've got to admit - I don't by that excuse.  I run a qmail server and now a
james server (with plans on converting over all the mail to James).  I can
send the same email to both the qmail server and james server.  Then
retrieve the same email via Outlook express with Nav 2003 checking email.  I
have no issues retrieving the mail from the qmail server (and never have)
but the james will always close the connection early on it (and will do so
on one out of every 10 or so spam messages)...

> FWIW, these are all "common" Outlook issues having nothing to do with
James.

Re: odd response from James

Posted by Tim Roberts <tr...@speakeasy.net>.
Whoops - forgot to mention the most important piece - even if I telnet to
the james server and manually type in the commands, the connection get's
terminated during the DATA command  (BTW - would love to know how norton

RE: odd response from James

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.