Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Sh...@lotus.com on 2001/05/10 17:51:19 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Xalan-J 2.1 release plan; approx target: Fri, 16-May-01

Since many of you have been curious lately, especially about the new xsltc
work, here's an overview of what we'd like to do for the next Xalan-J 2.x
release.

<xalan-j-2.1-release-plan-v.1.0>
---- Contents: ----
-- Release number/purpose/target date/compiler
-- Overview - what's in the release
-- Bug Voting and Code Slush
-- Notable ToDo Items
-- Comments? Volunteers?

---- Items: ----
-- Release number/purpose/target date/compiler
We haven't had a release for a while, and have had both a number of
bugfixes in the main Xalan codebase as well as this nifty donation of the
XSLTC work.  Thus, we'd like to have a Xalan-J 2.1 build come out sometime
soon.
Depending on our time and bugs found/to fix, we'd like to have this release
come out in the next week or two: let's say a target date of Friday,
16-May, with a likely couple of day window.
We plan to compile this like previous releases, on a WinNT system with
Sun's JDK 1.2.2.  Note that this does not imply xalan doesn't work on 1.1.x
JDK's, it's just easier to manage the build since our docs only build on
1.2.x.

-- Overview - what's in the release
!Xalan! your favorite XSLT processor, with numerous bugfixes and minor
improvements!  We've already made a number of fixes since our last release,
and will triage a few more over the next week or so (see below for bug
voting).

!XSLTC! a newly donated XSLT processor that compiles stylesheets into Java
bytecode, called Translets!  As announced earlier, a team at Sun has
donated their 'XSLTC' processor to the Xalan project.  We have quickly
performed a very minimal integration with Xalan so far, but have plans to
merge the two products much more fully in later releases.

For now, you'll get the xalan.jar that many of you know and love, plus a
bonus xsltc.jar.  We have integrated the documentation from both products,
although much of the code is still a bit separate.

Previous Xalan users can just ignore the xsltc.jar; you won't need to make
any changes.  Previous XSLTC users can just ignore xalan.jar; some of the
supporting .jars have changed locations, but otherwise it should work as
before.  Of course any users who are excited about seeing how we're going
to integrate and improve the two .jars will want to peek at both...  XSLTC
will support it's old API, has a basic command line interface, and should
support a limited JAXP interface for easy prototyping in this release.

Xalan testing is as usual, with more conf and API tests available.  We have
a basic XsltcMainWrapper to run the conf tests with XSTLC; beyond that
we'll have release notes that note what things the XSLTC module supports so
far.  Oh, and we should be using the xerces.jar from their 1.3.1 release.

-- Bug Voting and Code Slush
We'd like to call a 'code slush' over the next couple of weeks in the
xml-xalan/java tree, so we can stabilize the build for release, so please
use extra caution in your checkins and be sure to run the smoketest:
  cd xml-xalan/java
  build smoketest
(Yes, we'll work on fixing the GUMP smoketest fails; I think this is a
minor issue)

To help us prioritize which remaining bugs to fix, we'd like to try using
the Bugzilla voting system.  If you have favorite bugs, then please vote
for them! Everyone has 6 votes to spread across the bugs they consider most
critical to fix for the upcoming release: when looking at a bug, click the
'Vote for this bug' link to cast your vote.
Note: voting for a bug does *not* guarantee that it will be fixed - it just
helps us to see what the xalan-dev community thinks are the more important
bugs.  Some bugs may be too risky to change at this point, and heck, since
we're all volunteers, we may not have time to get to them all.  Bugs with
votes and complete patches attached (especially if you've run and passed
the smoketest) are also more likely to get committed and fixed.
http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

-- Notable ToDo Items
Xalanites - yes, you - to vote for your most critical bugs (and send
patches or tests for them too!)
committers to fix bugs as they can, but *cautiously* with an eye on keeping
stable
Shane/Don to update build.xml dist target to include xsltc code and
dependencies
Don to checkin doc to include xsltc chapters on design, user guide, release
notes
Tom/Todd/Morten to review xsltc chapters in the doc
Tom/Todd/Morten to write xsltc-specific release notes (after Don checks in
spot for them)
Todd to implement minimal (StreamSource, StreamResult only) JAXP support in
xsltc
Todd/Morten to move ...xsltc/demo to be under xml-xalan/java/samples/xsltc
and remove packagenames
Tom/Shane run automated tests on both xalan and xsltc
Tom to test xsltc user guide actual steps
Shane to track down people to help with GUMP smoketest fail
Shane to checkin xerces.jar 1.3.1
Costin to remove javax.xml.parsers files from xml-xalan/java CVS
What did I miss?

-- Comments? Volunteers?
Let us know what you think of this plan and if you have specific
comments/complaints/suggestions.  Also, please let us know if you'd like to
volunteer to do some extra work: send code patches, run tests on other
systems/JDKs, review docs and send comments, etc.  Also see
xml-xalan/java/todo.xml and xsltc_todo.xml

</xalan-j-2.1-release-plan-v.1.0>
- Shane

Re: [PROPOSAL] Xalan-J 2.1 release plan; approx target: Fri, 16-May-01

Posted by Co...@Sun.COM.
+1 on the plan.

Does this includes any DTM work ? Also, would it be possible to include
the thread pooling hook ?

Costin