Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Gabriel Belingueres <be...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/30 17:13:59 UTC

[S2] adding serialVersionUID to actions

Hi,

Is there any value in adding the serialVersionUID to all our actions?
My idea is just to add a @SupressWarning("serial") to each action.

AFAIK, the actions are newly created in each request and are never put
into session or application scope (by Struts itself at least).

Any ideas of why the ActionSupport class implements java.io.Serializable?

Re: [S2] adding serialVersionUID to actions

Posted by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net>.
Gabriel Belingueres wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any value in adding the serialVersionUID to all our actions?
> My idea is just to add a @SupressWarning("serial") to each action.
>
> AFAIK, the actions are newly created in each request and are never put
> into session or application scope (by Struts itself at least).
>
> Any ideas of why the ActionSupport class implements java.io.Serializable?

You're right, S2 actions are generally expected to be request scoped.
I'm not sure why ActionSupport implements Serializable; it's probably a
legacy thing. As long as you stick to using request-scoped actions,
there probably isn't any value in generating serialVersionUIDs or them.

L.