Posted to dev@freemarker.apache.org by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> on 2017/01/16 11:11:18 UTC

[VOTE] Which logo?

We will replace our square logo at Twitter
(https://twitter.com/freemarker), and probably will use the same logo
in the future elsewhere too.

Which one do you prefer from the *top* row (1, 2, 3)?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5BwTaGcWGtNLU0wQmFiUElFc2c

(The bottom row is for file icons, but currently we won't use them
anywhere.)

Thanks for Julien Nicolas for providing these!

 Daniel Dekany

Re: [VOTE] Which logo?

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
I like more the third.

Thanks for Julien Nicolas for your contribution!

--
Sergio Fernández
Partner Technology Manager

Re: [VOTE] Which logo, now with a new contender (#1.5)

Posted by David E Jones <de...@dejc.com>.

I still like #3 on the top row... simple, and square is nice on certain sites
(ie certain sites require a square logo).

-David

![](https://link.nylas.com/open/5xm8m568zhx9qyloglsg31huz/local-30aff82b-
1fd7?r=ZGV2QGZyZWVtYXJrZXIuaW5jdWJhdG9yLmFwYWNoZS5vcmc=)

On Jan 19 2017, at 4:30 am, Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> wrote:

> A new choice! So now in theory I should cancel this vote and start a
new one. But I guess we can be less formal in this case. After all,
changing a logo is backward compatible (an almost disturbing feeling
if you have maintained FM... <-; ).

Monday, January 16, 2017, 11:07:29 PM, Julien NICOLAS wrote:

> > Hello,
>
> I prefer #1.
>
> But... If I can provide a new one regarding comments
> (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5BwTaGcWGtNS2VaTDhCcDVLQTQ) I prefer
> #1.5 ;)
>
> Regards,
>
> Julien.
>

> On 16/01/2017 12:11, Daniel Dekany wrote:
>> We will replace our square logo at Twitter
>> (https://twitter.com/freemarker), and probably will use the same logo
>> in the future elsewhere too.
>>
>> Which one do you prefer from the *top* row (1, 2, 3)?
>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5BwTaGcWGtNLU0wQmFiUElFc2c
>>
>> (The bottom row is for file icons, but currently we won't use them
>> anywhere.)
>>
>> Thanks for Julien Nicolas for providing these!
>>

> \--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany

Re: [VOTE] Which logo, now with a new contender (#1.5)

Posted by Kirys <ki...@neoteroi.org>.
#1.5

Re: [VOTE] Which logo, now with a new contender (#1.5)

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
OK, I focused, and I still prefer 2 with its (very hard to see) paler shadow

Jacques

Le 19/01/2017 � 18:47, Jacques Le Roux a �crit :

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Christoph Rüger <c....@synesty.com>.
+1 for 1.5

--
Synesty GmbH
Moritz-von-Rohr-Str. 1a

Geschäftsführer: Christoph Rüger
Unternehmenssitz: Jena
Handelsregister B beim Amtsgericht: Jena
Handelsregister-Nummer: HRB 508766
Ust-IdNr.: DE287564982

Re: [VOTE] Which logo, now with a new contender (#1.5)

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> wrote:

> A new choice! So now in theory I should cancel this vote and start a
> new one. But I guess we can be less formal in this case. After all,
> changing a logo is backward compatible (an almost disturbing feeling
> if you have maintained FM... <-; ).

:-)

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.

Re: [VOTE] Which logo?

Posted by Julien NICOLAS <ju...@nereide.fr>.
Hello,

#1.5 ;)

Regards,

Re: [VOTE] Which logo?

Posted by Barrie Selack <ba...@rockhopper.com>.
I like #3, clean, simple.

Re: [VOTE] Which logo?

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Cool work Nicolas,

If I may suggest, perhaps #1 could be improved by having a smaller shadow
that does not extend all the way to the corner, similar to the original
logo. The problems with #1 and #2 is that although the idea is nice, the
shadow pulling all the way to the corner makes it a bit too classic? A
shorter version might look much nicer while preserving the 3D effect?

Just tossing ideas around!

Re: [VOTE] Which logo?

Posted by Mauricio Nuñez <ma...@inversion.cl>.
I like #3

Regards,

Mauricio

> I vote for #2, although the 3d effect is overdone.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Denis.

Re: [VOTE] Which logo?

Posted by br...@me.com.

Re: [VOTE] Which logo?

Posted by Christoph Rüger <c....@synesty.com>.
+1 for top row #3

Re: [VOTE] Which logo?

Posted by Piyush Mor <pi...@gmail.com>.
I like #3

Re: [VOTE] Which logo?

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
I like the first.

Jacopo

Re: [VOTE] Which logo?

Posted by David E Jones <de...@dejc.com>.

+1 for #3 as well.

Modern designs are getting more flat and simplistic (which IMO is great). It
seems to be related to people becoming more familiar with standard UI elements
so there really is no need for 3D effects and other fancy things (including
shadows, etc) that usually end up making things look cluttered and are
generally distracting.

-David

![](https://link.nylas.com/open/5xm8m568zhx9qyloglsg31huz/local-3efaba1f-
1da1?r=ZGV2QGZyZWVtYXJrZXIuaW5jdWJhdG9yLmFwYWNoZS5vcmc=)

On Jan 16 2017, at 3:11 am, Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> wrote:

> We will replace our square logo at Twitter
(https://twitter.com/freemarker), and probably will use the same logo
in the future elsewhere too.

> Which one do you prefer from the *top* row (1, 2, 3)?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5BwTaGcWGtNLU0wQmFiUElFc2c

> (The bottom row is for file icons, but currently we won't use them
anywhere.)

> Thanks for Julien Nicolas for providing these!

> \--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany

Re: [VOTE] Which logo?

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
I vote for the 1st.

Re: [VOTE] Which logo?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I vote for [1,2] though I'd prefer a bit less shadow

If I'd like to follow the flat design trend I'd choose [1,3] but I'm not against skeuomorphism when done right

Jacques

Le 16/01/2017 � 12:11, Daniel Dekany a �crit :