Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com> on 2000/12/01 23:06:57 UTC

Solaris and siteminder nasty interaction?

We have several bug reports open on Apache 1.3 on Solaris reporting the
following error in the error log:

fcntl: F_SETLKW: Error getting accept lock, exiting!  Perhaps you need to use
the LockFile directive to place your lock file on a local disk!
[Wed Oct 18 14:03:31 2000] [notice] child pid 19796 exit signal Segmentation
Fault (11)
[Wed Oct 18 14:07:59 2000] [emerg] (9)Bad file number: fcntl: F_SETLKW: Error
getting accept lock, exiting!  Perhaps you need to use the LockFile directive
to place your lock file on a local disk!

In each case, it appears the the the lockfile directive is coded and the lock
file is on a local file system (not on a network mounted file system). I see
two cases where someone reported that they were also running Netegrity
Siteminder.  This strikes me as an odd coincidence.  Furthermore, one of the
bug reports states...

<quote>
This problem is caused by another application that can cause time
delays.  For example, a security agent running at the server.

Resolution is to compile Apache with the following flags.
CFLAGS -DUSE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
</quote>

I can appreciate compiling with USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT, but I
completely do not get the first statement. "time delays"? And how could this
possibly affect fcntl lock failure?

I want to know if -the- solution is using a different accept lock or is is
there another solution. Can't make that determination until we understand wtf
this failure is happening anyway.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill Stoddard stoddard@raleigh.ibm.com

Re: Solaris and siteminder nasty interaction?

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@bellsouth.net>.
"Bill Stoddard" <bi...@wstoddard.com> writes:

> We have several bug reports open on Apache 1.3 on Solaris reporting the
> following error in the error log:
>

> fcntl: F_SETLKW: Error getting accept lock, exiting!  Perhaps you need to use
> the LockFile directive to place your lock file on a local disk!
> [Wed Oct 18 14:03:31 2000] [notice] child pid 19796 exit signal Segmentation
> Fault (11)
> [Wed Oct 18 14:07:59 2000] [emerg] (9)Bad file number: fcntl: F_SETLKW: Error
> getting accept lock, exiting!  Perhaps you need to use the LockFile directive
> to place your lock file on a local disk!

Hmmm... look at that strerror() message: "Bad file number"

Is it possible that some code loaded into the server is inadvertently
closing the file descriptor for the lock file?

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Any objections setting default to USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT on Solaris?

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
For 1.3.15?

Bill