Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com> on 2015/04/29 22:05:32 UTC

Python 3 port is 'done'

Well, done enough to consider merging to master.

While the patch is quite large, most of the changes are simple syntax changes to avoid non-python3 compliant syntax.

The code is available on the kgiusti-python3 branch at the Apache repo.

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=qpid-proton.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/kgiusti-python3

I've also made a patch that can be viewed up on reviewboard:

https://reviews.apache.org/r/33691/

I've verified that the unit tests and python examples run under python2.6, 2.7, and python3.3.   I'd appreciate if folks would take this patch for a spin and report back their experience.

Known Issues:

These changes will be incompatible with earlier versions of the python 2.x series.  I know for a fact that python versions <= 2.4 won't even parse this patch, and I suspect getting such older versions of python to work would require lots of effort.   I'm a little unsure of how well python 2.5 will be supported - I have yet to test that far back.  I also didn't test anything earlier than 3.3 in the python3.x stream.

--
-K

Re: Python 3 port is 'done'

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.
Thanks for checking that Chuck.   I think I've fixed it - all tests that pass on master now pass for me on the kgiusti-python3 branch under windows.

I see failures of the proton_tests.sasl.* tests on both master and the py3 branch, but I think that may be related by my cyrus setup.

> Failures on Windows (beyond the four SASL failures in PROTON-875) running
> Python 2.6.1
>
> 37 MessengerTests tests (all that aren't skipped) fail with
>   Unexpected input while waiting for receiver to initialize: READY

-K

Re: Python 3 port is 'done'

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.
Thanks for checking that Chuck.   I think I've fixed it - all tests that pass on master now pass for me on the kgiusti-python3 branch under windows.

I see failures of the proton_tests.sasl.* tests on both master and the py3 branch, but I think that may be related by my cyrus setup.

> Failures on Windows (beyond the four SASL failures in PROTON-875) running
> Python 2.6.1
>
> 37 MessengerTests tests (all that aren't skipped) fail with
>   Unexpected input while waiting for receiver to initialize: READY

-K

Re: Python 3 port is 'done'

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.

Re: Python 3 port is 'done'

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.
FYI:

Python 3 support has been merged to qpid-proton master.

Let us know if you hit any problems - thanks.

-K

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.
FYI:

--
-K

Re: Python 3 port is 'done'

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.

Re: Python 3 port is 'done'

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.

Re: Python 3 port is 'done'

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.

Re: Python 3 port is 'done'

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 8 May 2015 at 13:34, Rafael Schloming <rh...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 30 April 2015 at 15:56, Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com> wrote:

Oops. I missed your reply at the time, just saw it while looking for
something else.

I think we would just switch entirely to Jython 2.7, which has since
reached GA, wouldnt we? Given those bits are only really intended for
use in the tests, I don't see the same need for wide ranging
compatibility there. I also wouldn't expect people to be configuring a
different major version of Jython (but if I were to try, some
incompatibility wouldn't necessarily be that surprising to me
either).

Robbie

Re: Python 3 port is 'done'

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Python 3 port is 'done'

Posted by Rafael Schloming <rh...@alum.mit.edu>.

Re: Python 3 port is 'done'

Posted by Rafael Schloming <rh...@alum.mit.edu>.

Re: Python 3 port is 'done'

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 30 April 2015 at 15:56, Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com> wrote:

If you want to try it, below is change needed. Probably worth making
sure you clean out the old .pyc files left by previous test runs (I
use git-clean to nuke things back to fresh state).

diff --git tests/pom.xml tests/pom.xml
index 8367eca..7dcee1e 100644
--- tests/pom.xml
+++ tests/pom.xml
@@ -93,7 +93,7 @@ directory &lt;basedir&gt;/build/proton-c.</description>
     <dependency>
         <groupId>org.python</groupId>
         <artifactId>jython-standalone</artifactId>
-        <version>2.5.3</version>
+        <version>2.7-rc3</version>
       <scope>test</scope>
     </dependency>
   </dependencies>

Re: Python 3 port is 'done'

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Python 3 port is 'done'

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.

> > Well, done enough to consider merging to master.
> >
> > While the patch is quite large, most of the changes are simple syntax
> > changes to avoid non-python3 compliant syntax.
> >
> > The code is available on the kgiusti-python3 branch at the Apache repo.
> >
> > https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=qpid-proton.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/kgiusti-python3
> >
> > I've also made a patch that can be viewed up on reviewboard:
> >
> > https://reviews.apache.org/r/33691/
> >
> > I've verified that the unit tests and python examples run under python2.6,
> > 2.7, and python3.3.   I'd appreciate if folks would take this patch for a
> > spin and report back their experience.
> >
> > Known Issues:
> >
> > These changes will be incompatible with earlier versions of the python 2.x
> > series.  I know for a fact that python versions <= 2.4 won't even parse
> > this patch, and I suspect getting such older versions of python to work
> > would require lots of effort.   I'm a little unsure of how well python 2.5
> > will be supported - I have yet to test that far back.  I also didn't test
> > anything earlier than 3.3 in the python3.x stream.
> >
> > --
> > -K
>
> I gave thigns a kick with Python 2.7, and Jython 2.5.3 without issue.
>
> I also tried the maven build with Jython 2.7 RC3 (there was a new one)
> and things exploded similarly to the way they did before.

Thanks Robbie.

What kind of issues does Jython 2.7 complain about?  I'll have to install that RC at some point... :(

> Robbie

-K

Re: Python 3 port is 'done'

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.

> > Well, done enough to consider merging to master.
> >
> > While the patch is quite large, most of the changes are simple syntax
> > changes to avoid non-python3 compliant syntax.
> >
> > The code is available on the kgiusti-python3 branch at the Apache repo.
> >
> > https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=qpid-proton.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/kgiusti-python3
> >
> > I've also made a patch that can be viewed up on reviewboard:
> >
> > https://reviews.apache.org/r/33691/
> >
> > I've verified that the unit tests and python examples run under python2.6,
> > 2.7, and python3.3.   I'd appreciate if folks would take this patch for a
> > spin and report back their experience.
> >
> > Known Issues:
> >
> > These changes will be incompatible with earlier versions of the python 2.x
> > series.  I know for a fact that python versions <= 2.4 won't even parse
> > this patch, and I suspect getting such older versions of python to work
> > would require lots of effort.   I'm a little unsure of how well python 2.5
> > will be supported - I have yet to test that far back.  I also didn't test
> > anything earlier than 3.3 in the python3.x stream.
> >
> > --
> > -K
>
> I gave thigns a kick with Python 2.7, and Jython 2.5.3 without issue.
>
> I also tried the maven build with Jython 2.7 RC3 (there was a new one)
> and things exploded similarly to the way they did before.

Thanks Robbie.

What kind of issues does Jython 2.7 complain about?  I'll have to install that RC at some point... :(

> Robbie

-K

Re: Python 3 port is 'done'

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Python 3 port is 'done'

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Python 3 port is 'done'

Posted by Flavio Percoco <fl...@redhat.com>.
On 30/04/15 11:08 -0400, Ken Giusti wrote:

> [...]

I'd probably have cmake/ctest running things for the default python
and leave the rest of the tests to `tox` as it'll create the required
virtual environments for each supported version. This would be my
preference.

That said, you could also have cmake building the bindings for each
version in different paths. This will complicate the cmake step
further and I presonally think this belongs to the bindings,

Cheers,
Flavio

--
@flaper87