Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Peter Davis <pe...@pdavis.cx> on 2002/10/01 09:06:53 UTC

Re: No write access to a svn repository via http

On Friday 27 September 2002 08:59, Kevin Pilch-Bisson wrote:
> Someone had the same problem on IRC last night, and upgrading to 2.0.42
> solved it for them, so I think it might very well be caused by the version
> mismatch.

I keep seeing people having problems with outdated apaches.  Shouldn't there
be some autoconf check to simply not allow compiling with < 2.0.42 or with
cvs earlier than some date?  I haven't checked this myself so sorry if it's
already doing that, but all these complaints make me suspicious.

--
Peter Davis

Re: No write access to a svn repository via http

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 02:06:53AM -0700, Peter Davis wrote:
> On Friday 27 September 2002 08:59, Kevin Pilch-Bisson wrote:
> > Someone had the same problem on IRC last night, and upgrading to 2.0.42
> > solved it for them, so I think it might very well be caused by the version
> > mismatch.
>
> I keep seeing people having problems with outdated apaches.  Shouldn't there
> be some autoconf check to simply not allow compiling with < 2.0.42 or with
> cvs earlier than some date?  I haven't checked this myself so sorry if it's
> already doing that, but all these complaints make me suspicious.

build/buildcheck.sh can/should check the Apache version. Historically, we
didn't because we always said that we needed "CVS HEAD [of httpd-2.0]". But
we really ought to say "2.0.42 or later".

Now that APR(UTIL) is versioned, we should also be looking for min versions,
there, too.

I'll file an issue.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: No write access to a svn repository via http

Posted by Robert Schiele <rs...@uni-mannheim.de>.
On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 10:39:33AM -0400, Tim Moloney wrote:
> I can't say myself but Greg Stein said...
> (http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgId=190073)
>
> > Between 2.0.40 and 2.0.41, there were some changes to the error
> > constants in APR. If Subversion is built against the installed
> > Apache's APR(UTIL) rather than an in-tree recent copy, then it
> > should actually work fine.

Ah, thanks.  This explains, why I didn't notice any problems although
everyone was telling here that it won't work with 2.0.40.

Robert

BTW: SuSE ships subversion 0.14.2 with their 8.1 release.  I have
     built 0.14.3 rpm packages and 0.23.4 neon rpm packages.  I have
     also built apache2/apr/neon/subversion rpm packages for SuSE 8.0.
     If someone was interessted in them, just drop me a note.

--
Robert Schiele			Tel.: +49-621-181-2517
Dipl.-Wirtsch.informatiker	mailto:rschiele@uni-mannheim.de

Re: No write access to a svn repository via http

Posted by Tim Moloney <mo...@mrsl.com>.

--
Tim Moloney
ManTech Real-time Systems Laboratory

Re: No write access to a svn repository via http

Posted by Robert Schiele <rs...@uni-mannheim.de>.