Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jonathan Rosenberg <jr...@tabbysplace.org> on 2011/08/11 22:56:35 UTC

Parallel Deployment & Sessions: What am I Missing?

Following up on my post the other day ... I figured out a clean way to
generate a Catalog##~~~.war Grails app that just yields an outage
page.

Today I deployed & tested & sessions are not behaving as I expected.
Here's what I have

1) Deployed Catalog##0002.war.& started.
2) Access app (/Catalog) & start a session (confirmed in Tomcat Manager).
3) Deploy Catalog##~~~.war & started.
4) Access app again (/Catalog).  I immediately get the outage page.
5) Stop Catalog##~~~.
5) Access /Catalog.  Session is back.

I was expecting to see the original app, not an outage page.  I
checked in Manager & it shows 1 session associated with Catalog##0002
and none with Catalog##~~~, as expected.

Am I confused as to what should be happening?

--
Jonathan Rosenberg
Founder & Executive Director

RE: Parallel Deployment & Sessions: What am I Missing?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: shmoldie@gmail.com [mailto:shmoldie@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Jonathan Rosenberg
> Subject: Re: Parallel Deployment & Sessions: What am I Missing?

> 1) Copy foo##001.war to webapps & visit /foo.
> Results as expected ('old version').

Fine so far.

> 2) Copy foo##002.war to webapps & reload /foo.

By "reload", do you mean reload the webapp via the manager interface?  Or just reentering the URL?

> Results surprise me ('NEW version ')

Why is that surprising?  To quote from the doc:

"If no session information is present in the request, use the latest version."

 - Chuck

Re: Parallel Deployment & Sessions: What am I Missing?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Parallel Deployment & Sessions: What am I Missing?

Posted by Jonathan Rosenberg <jr...@tabbysplace.org>.
Mystery solved, I think.

I did a little more digging around & discovered that my cookie had two
JSESSIONID values. I didn't even know this was possible.

Neither of the values matched Tomcat's session id & the browser was
unable to update the cookie's JSESSIONID properly (no surprise).

I deleted this rogue cookie & all apears to be working as expected.

Lots of moving parts ...

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Parallel Deployment & Sessions: What am I Missing?

Posted by Jonathan Rosenberg <jr...@tabbysplace.org>.
Chris,

I am using the same browser instance.  Just reloading the page.

Tomcat manager confirms the existence of a session.  I am the only
user of this test machine, os no confusion there.

Are there any config settings that would disable parallel deployment?

I'm at a loss, since this test case is o simple.

--
Jonathan Rosenberg
Founder & Executive Director
Tabby's Place, a Cat Sanctuary
http://www.tabbysplace.org/

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Parallel Deployment & Sessions: What am I Missing?

Posted by Jonathan Rosenberg <jr...@tabbysplace.org>.
I just reverified that session info is being sent (i.e., JSESSIONID).
Yes, that's the client cookie.

--
Jonathan Rosenberg
Founder & Executive Director
Tabby's Place, a Cat Sanctuary
http://www.tabbysplace.org/

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Christopher Schultz

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Parallel Deployment & Sessions: What am I Missing?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Caldarale, Charles R
> Subject: RE: Parallel Deployment & Sessions: What am I Missing?

> > Results surprise me ('NEW version ')

> Why is that surprising?  To quote from the doc:

> "If no session information is present in the request, use the latest version."

You might want to sniff the traffic and see if the client is sending any session information; I suspect it isn't.

 - Chuck

Re: Parallel Deployment & Sessions: What am I Missing?

Posted by Jonathan Rosenberg <jr...@tabbysplace.org>.
So, it's gotta be something simple I'm missing.  I decided to
construct a trivial test of parallel deployment.

Couldn't be simpler
(http://www.javacodegeeks.com/2011/06/zero-downtime-deployment-and-rollback.html?m=1):

$ mkdir WEB-INF
$ echo "" > WEB-INF/web.xml
$ echo 'old version ' > index.jsp
$ jar cf foo##001.war WEB-INF index.jsp
$ echo 'NEW version ' > index.jsp
$ jar cf foo##002.war WEB-INF index.jsp

1) Copy foo##001.war to webapps & visit /foo.  Results as expected
('old version').
2) Copy foo##002.war to webapps & reload /foo.  Results surprise me
('NEW version ')

What am I missing here?

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Rosenberg <jr...@tabbysplace.org>.