Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Karthik <ka...@xius.org> on 2006/01/17 12:27:24 UTC

Auto task need to take backup before deployemnt

Hi form

   using ant  i need a task to take back up of deployed
   files( selective jsp / calss /html /.... files )before
   new deployment task is fired.

how to achieve this ???

with regards
Karthik

Re: Auto task need to take backup before deployemnt

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Karthik <ka...@xius.org> wrote:

>   Does this mean  i have been asking "Dumb Questions"

There is a difference between "dumb" and "not smart".

>   and the form is for asking smart Questions only...

No, but you'll generally get better answers if you ask your questions
in a smart way.  See, one answer to your question could be

<copy todir="${backup}">
  <fileset dir="${deploy}"/>
</copy>

which assumes a bunch of things:

* the server you deploy to is local

* you have a property pointing to the directory you've deployed to

* there actually is such a directory.  Some application servers deploy
  war files without exploding them, so there is no directory to start
  from.  Actually, I'm assuming here that you mean "deploying a web
  application to an application server" when you say deploy.

* with backup you mean simply copying the stuff to a save place, you
  already have that save place, it is a local directory and you have a
  property pointing to it.

Instead of my last assumption I could also assume you need a backup
for each new deployment in form of a timestamped zip file in which
case a better answer would be

<tstamp/>
<zip destfile="${backups}/${DSTAMP}-${TSTAMP}.zip">
  <fileset dir="${deploy}"/>
</zip>

If any of my assumptions is wrong, my answer is worthless for you -
and I have spent five minutes writing it.  The less things the people
who want to help must assume, the better.

Stefan

RE: Auto task need to take backup before deployemnt

Posted by Jeffrey E Care <ca...@us.ibm.com>.
Not at all; I never once mentioned code or APIs.

All you've told us so far is that you want to back stuff up before
deploying new stuff; perhaps that's interesting to you, but it doesn't
tell the people on this list who are in a position help you anything
useful.

As I said before, at this point it sure sounds like you are trying to get
people on this list to do your work for you. If that's not the case, what
have you tried already? If you haven't actually tried anything yet, what
are you thinking about trying? If you haven't yet even thought about what
you're going to try, why are you asking here?

If you're just looking to get some ideas then fine, but your question
certainly wasn't phased that way. The purpose of this list is not for
others to do the work that you are (presumably) being paid to do: the
purpose of this list is for Ant _users_ to help _each other_ solve
problems. No one can & no one will help you if you're just going to
passively say "I need X, help me please!"

I would really suggest that you read the advice on the smart questions
FAQ.

--
Jeffrey E. Care (carej@us.ibm.com)
WebSphere v7 Release Engineer