Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Sean Harding <sh...@dogcow.org> on 2005/02/02 01:16:24 UTC

Perl library versions

I'm having trouble getting SA to use the DNS tests. It complains that
Net::DNS is too old:

Net::DNS version is 0.19, but need 0.34dnsavailable-1 at
/home/sharding//local/share/perl/5.6.1/Mail/SpamAssassin/Dns.pm line
1230.

It's true that the systemwide version of Net::DNS is 0.19, but I've
installed 0.48 in my home dir. Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck
getting SA to actually use that version. During the make process, it
finds it (it doesn't complain about the old version anymore), but when
it actually runs, it still finds the old version. I've set PERL5LIB in
both .cshrc (I use tcsh as my login shell) and .bashrc, and when I run
perl from the command line, it finds the version of Net::DNS in my home
dir. It's only SpamAssassin that has the problem.

I'm using SA 3.0.2 called from procmail with Perl 5.6.1.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

sean

Re: Perl library versions

Posted by Sean Harding <sh...@dogcow.org>.
On Feb 1, 2005, at 5:29 PM, Matt Kettler wrote:

> Well there's your problem.. .cshrc and bashrc only apply to those
> shell interpreters. They don't get called when procmail runs.
>
> Try setting PERL5LIB in your procmailrc and you should be ok.

Sadly, that doesn't do it either (in fact, it was already set there,
but I forgot to mention it).

Thanks for the help.

sean

Re: Perl library versions

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.

Re: Perl library versions

Posted by Will Yardley <sa...@veggiechinese.net>.
On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 04:16:24PM -0800, Sean Harding wrote:

> Net::DNS version is 0.19, but need 0.34dnsavailable-1 at
> /home/sharding//local/share/perl/5.6.1/Mail/SpamAssassin/Dns.pm line
> 1230.
>
> It's true that the systemwide version of Net::DNS is 0.19, but I've
> installed 0.48 in my home dir. Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck
> getting SA to actually use that version. During the make process, it
> finds it (it doesn't complain about the old version anymore), but when
> it actually runs, it still finds the old version. I've set PERL5LIB in
> both .cshrc (I use tcsh as my login shell) and .bashrc, and when I run
> perl from the command line, it finds the version of Net::DNS in my home
> dir. It's only SpamAssassin that has the problem.

It's not actually being run from an interactive shell, though. I think
you need to either build SpamAssassin so it's aware of the alternative
Net::DNS (maybe someone else knows how to do this) or else add a "use
lib /home/sharding/local/lib/perl/5.6.1/Net" statement to the
SpamAssassin code somewhere.

Sorry about the old SA version, BTW. We generally stick to the Debian
release, and in this case, upgrading might also break some other stuff.
You might want to try enabling the Junk Filter, which is currently using
SA 3.0.2, clamav, and amavisd-new - if you set it to tag-only, it should
work pretty well other than not having the bayes stuff enabled (which
will reduce the effectiveness some).

/w