Posted to dev@samza.apache.org by sa...@stevendyates.com on 2015/12/23 06:51:39 UTC

Hello Samza repository + Data Masking

Hi Samza Devs, I think it would be a good idea to have just the one repo for Samza + Hello Samza . I haven't been on this mailing list for some time so there may be a good reason why their seperate.
From a newbie point of view it's nice to check out code and have a folder full of showcase samples that can easily be executed with gradle/maven etc.
Just my two cents .
Additionally I am seriously considering Samza for a real-time data masking/obfuscation personal project I am working on. Perhaps you guys have some thoughts on this area.
Regards
Steve Y
--
Sent from myMail app for Android

Re: Hello Samza repository + Data Masking

Posted by Jacob Maes <ja...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Jakob. I'll add that for some users it is useful to see the
gradle/maven configuration of the samza dependency in an external project,
which will most closely reflect how they have to configure their own
project. That way they can just copy the snippet without any additional
knowledge about the dependency management system. It's still possible to
have all the projects in one repo, but in that case it might be good to at
least have separate gradle scripts.

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 2:06 PM, Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The big hurdle here is that Hello Samza (HS) should always be ready to
> go and work right out of the box, whereas a fresh checkout of trunk
> may (though hopefully doesn't) have issues.  This is why HS by default
> points to the last stable Samza release (and has to be re-branched to
> track master on Samza).  There's definitely an argument to be made
> that nothing should be checked into master that would cause HS to not
> run, be unstable, be harder to start, etc.
>
> -jg
>
> On 23 December 2015 at 12:50, Navina Ramesh
> <nr...@linkedin.com.invalid> wrote:
> > Hi Steve,
> >
> > I think when I started contributing to Samza, I had a similar idea about
> > bringing the samples under the main repository. Also, to add more
> examples
> > illustrating the various features that Samza supports. I don't see any
> > issue in doing this, except that it will make our repository more heavy.
> > I would be more comfortable adding the examples to the same repository
> once
> > we are ready with the standalone execution model. That said, I am not
> > totally opposed to this idea. Let's wait and hear from others about what
> > they think!
> >
> > It's great to hear that you are considering Samza for your personal
> > project. Can you elaborate your use-case more?  It will really help to
> > understand what your throughput, latency and state requirements are at
> this
> > point.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Navina
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 9:51 PM, <sa...@stevendyates.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi Samza Devs, I think it would be a good idea to have just the one repo
> >> for Samza + Hello Samza . I haven't been on this mailing list for some
> time
> >> so there may be a good reason why their seperate.
> >> From a newbie point of view it's nice to check out code and have a
> folder
> >> full of showcase samples that can easily be executed with gradle/maven
> etc.
> >> Just my two cents .
> >> Additionally I am seriously considering Samza for a real-time data
> >> masking/obfuscation personal project I am working on. Perhaps you guys
> have
> >> some thoughts on this area.
> >> Regards
> >> Steve Y
> >> --
> >> Sent from myMail app for Android
> >

> > --
> > Navina R.

Re[2]: Hello Samza repository + Data Masking

Posted by sa...@stevendyates.com.
I agree,  HS should always just work out of the box.  Perhaps an sub repo would be ideal. This may make it easier to reference HS from the samza test suite .
Regarding the data masking , I will provide more specifics shortly. My intention however would be that we could scale the data masking transform to any required throughput required by an enterprise.
-S
--
Sent from myMail app for Android Thursday, 24 December 2015, 09:06AM +11:00 from Jakob Homan < jghoman@gmail.com> :

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.