Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by allenb <al...@bettilyon.net> on 2008/07/01 00:59:20 UTC

Client/Server version (in)compatibility

Hello,

I'm currently running a 4.0.1 server with 4.0.1 clients.  I'd like to
upgrade everything to 5.1.0, but not at the same time.  Ideally, I'd do a 2
stage upgrade where I first bump the server to 5.1.0 and then the clients.

Are there any known compatibility issue between a 4.0.1 client and a 5.1.0
server?  I ask because in my testing there appears to be some problems.  I'm
running 4.0.1 clients against a 5.1.0 server and see errors similar to the
following in the servers log over and over and  eventually run out of heap.

 ERROR Service                        - Async error occurred:
java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.activemq.command.SessionId.<init>(SessionId.java:39)
        at
org.apache.activemq.command.SessionInfo.<init>(SessionInfo.java:37)
        at
org.apache.activemq.state.ConnectionState.<init>(ConnectionState.java:47)
        at
org.apache.activemq.broker.TransportConnectionState.<init>(TransportConnectionState.java:35)
        at
org.apache.activemq.broker.TransportConnection.processAddConnection(TransportConnection.java:619)
        at
org.apache.activemq.command.ConnectionInfo.visit(ConnectionInfo.java:125)
        at
org.apache.activemq.broker.TransportConnection.service(TransportConnection.java:292)
        at
org.apache.activemq.broker.TransportConnection$1.onCommand(TransportConnection.java:180)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportFilter.onCommand(TransportFilter.java:68)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.WireFormatNegotiator.onCommand(WireFormatNegotiator.java:143)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.InactivityMonitor.onCommand(InactivityMonitor.java:206)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportSupport.doConsume(TransportSupport.java:84)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.doRun(TcpTransport.java:196)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.run(TcpTransport.java:183)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Does anyone have any input on this?  Is there a recommended upgrade path or
a client/server compatibility matrix floating around?

Thanks,

 -Allen Bettilyon

Re: Client/Server version (in)compatibility

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
I believe I was told there was some kind of multi-step upgrade path
from old 4.x releases to new 4.x releases (if you want to upgrade the
server and multiple clients with minimal down time), but as far as I
know the folks who worked that process out haven't gone to 5.x.  I can
try to get more details if the upgrades within the 4.x series are
still of interest.

Thanks,
       Aaron

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.