Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com> on 2015/03/12 12:32:43 UTC

[Poll]: User need for Solr security

Hi,

Securing various Solr APIs has once again surfaced as a discussion in the developer list. See e.g. SOLR-7236
Would be useful to get some feedback from Solr users about needs "in the field".

Please reply to this email and let us know what security aspect(s) would be most important for your company to see supported in a future version of Solr.
Examples: Local user management, AD/LDAP integration, SSL, authenticated login to Admin UI, authorization for Admin APIs, e.g. admin user vs read-only user etc

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

Re: [Poll]: User need for Solr security

Posted by Dmitry Kan <so...@gmail.com>.
Eric,

right, filesystem level encryption is the way. Making encryption part of
the lucene data structures would be a tall order.

Posted by Dmitry Kan <so...@gmail.com>.
Jan,

Index encryption is not really about trust to root users for us. It is
about letting client company to be able to secure their index with their
key. To prevent information loss through hacking to a server. What I agree
with is that this does go beyond just search ;)

Thanks for the JIRA, looks promising.

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitry Kan <so...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Henrique O. Santos" <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I’m currently working with indexes that need document level security. Based on the user logged in, query results would omit documents that this user doesn’t have access to, with LDAP integration and such.

I think that would be nice to have on a future Solr release.

Henrique.

Posted by "O. Klein" <kl...@octoweb.nl>.
I used Tomcat to secure admin pages. Haven't looked into Jetty if/how to do
this, but some basic security like you mentioned: SSL, authenticated login
to Admin UI, authorization for Admin APIs would be nice to have.