Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Ming Fai <mi...@hongkong.com> on 2002/01/15 08:46:27 UTC

odd questions about jetspeed

i've two odd questions,

1. can I use Jetspeed without Turbine?
2. can I just use Portlet API of Jetspeed? (hopefully, the future JCP
Portlet API standard)

basically, two questions are the same.

what i mean is not leaving the Turbine features there without touching them.
But to take out the Jetspeed library and use it elsewhere. Take the
simpliest case, I want to make a simple site in sgml, and I use jsp to
render the sgml to html by the jetspeed library. Is it possible?

regards,
mingfai

RE: odd questions about jetspeed (from jetspeed-user thread)

Posted by Ming Fai <mi...@hongkong.com>.
thanks for all of your response. it seems my follow up question should go to
the dev mail list.

I hope I had not use the generic terms like 'portlet api' and 'Jetspeed
library' that may create additional meaning. Let's take it to the coding
level.

just assume I write a java bean, I do the following to render a *single*
html page:
1. import all classes below org.apache.jetspeed.*
2. write a psml
3. take all necessary .xreg and .properties files from the /conf directory
4. In the bean
	a. declare and initial some PortletFactory(?), Portlets, Controller
objects, (etc) and
	b. call the corresponding methods to load the psml, (as well as to load the
.xreg)
	c. call the coressponding methods to rend the psml to html stream/string
5. Pass the output stream/string to jsp/servlet to display

Is it theoritically possible? (and assume i just take the classes but not
modify the source)

It's just a hypothetical question. And it may take a sigificant time without
much obvious benefit. In such scenario, I use jetspeed/portlets without
using turbine. And it shows the 'portlet api' is independent of any
framework. (interoperability?!)  I am not focus on portability at this time
as the spec is not finalized.

> For what you are looking currently, a publishing framework like Cocoon
> can help you (again, no library). But still you will miss some features
> thar are present in Jetspeed and Turbine.

Yup. I see there are a few benefit for using portlet in compare to other
publishing frameworks,

1. high managability
	- manage layout in the xml/psml file
	- can use customizer to manage the layout
2. Layout Customization
	- customize the layout *by the user*
3. Dynamic content
	- if the content source of a single portlet is dead, the page still can be
rendered
4. Easier Personalization and security (just read the new discussion!)
	- at portlet level

I pick Jetspeed! :)

regards,
mingfai

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
> i've two odd questions,
>
> 1. can I use Jetspeed without Turbine?

Jetspeed comes with the Turbine jar

> 2. can I just use Portlet API of Jetspeed? (hopefully, the future JCP
> Portlet API standard)

The JCP Portlet API will soon be made available here, right Thomas?

> basically, two questions are the same.
>
> what i mean is not leaving the Turbine features there without touching
them.
> But to take out the Jetspeed library and use it elsewhere. Take the
> simpliest case, I want to make a simple site in sgml, and I use jsp to
> render the sgml to html by the jetspeed library. Is it possible?

Should be. Write a portlet to do so!

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>