Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2007/03/30 17:51:32 UTC

[VOTE] [HOTFIX] release hot fix Eclipse plugin for UIMA CDE tool

The CDE fix in Jira: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-364 has
been packaged into a hotfix.

The hotfix consists only of one Eclipse Plugin project; this project
(uimaj-ep-configurator) was tagged in SVN:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-ep-configurator-2.1.0-hotfix-1

The artifact is located in
http://people.apache.org/~schor/org.apache.uima.desceditor.2.1.0.incubating-hotfix-1.zip;
this is a "binary"
deployable object usable by UIMA users directly, after unzipping into
the Eclipse plugins directory.

Please cast your vote on releasing:
org.apache.uima.desceditor.2.1.0.incubating-hotfix-1.zip and
including a reference to the source at:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-ep-configurator-2.1.0-hotfix-1
Note: I don't plan to zip up this source further into a release
artifact, unless it's required.

We ask that you please vote to approve this release:
[ ] +1 Approve the release as Apache UIMA 2.1.0-incubating
[ ] -1 Recommend against releasing at this time (identify issues you
consider showstoppers)

Here is my +1.

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] [HOTFIX] release hot fix Eclipse plugin for UIMA CDE tool

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.
+1

Makes sense to me to get this out as a hotfix.

Eddie

Hotfix build process, was: [VOTE] [HOTFIX] release hot fix Eclipse plugin for UIMA CDE tool

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Marshall Schor wrote:
> Michael Baessler wrote:
>> Marshall Schor wrote:
>>> One other issue I just remembered - this artifact is not "signed".  I
>>> don't have the time right
>>> now due to other pressing things, so this looks like it will slip
>>> into next week.
>> I absolutely agree with Thilo, we should fix and tag this in the 2.1.0
>> branch. I think we should do things as good as we can to make it
>> understandable
>> for all users. And providing hot fixes for a release that is based on
>> trunk seems to me a little bit confusing.
>>
>> If there is there anything I can help with, please let me know.
>
> Ok.  Please check this process.
>
> 1) extract into a new workspace: uimaj / branches / uimaj-2.1.0
>
> 3) put in the hot fix changes and build the uimaj-ep-configurator
> project (only) and test in the workspace.
>    Check in to the SVN under the uimaj-2.1.0 branch
>
> 3) "tag" the 2.1.0 branch with the hotfix as uimaj-2.1.0-hotfix-1-RC1
>
> 4) sign the zip file (which is the release artifact)
>
> 5) add my key to the SVN uima-distr/src/main/readme/KEYS (and publish to
> a public key server).  It won't be "countersigned" by anybody - is that
> OK for now?
>
> 6) Post the signed zip and signatures to ~schor for the vote.
>
> 7) Ask for the vote on uima-dev
>
> Please let me know if this seems OK or if I need to something else.
>
> Thanks, everyone. -Marshall

Looks good to me.  We'll also need some sort of README with instructions
on how to apply the hotfix, but you've probably thought of that.  I can
do the signing etc. if you like.

Testing should be done the same way users will use the hotfix: install
the binary 2.1.0 distribution, verify that the error occurs.  Install
the hotfix and verify that it fixes the issue ;-).  It would be good if
we could all do that before we vote, so we test various configurations.

--Thilo

Re: [VOTE] [HOTFIX] release hot fix Eclipse plugin for UIMA CDE tool

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.
Marshall Schor wrote:
> One other issue I just remembered - this artifact is not "signed".  I
> don't have the time right
> now due to other pressing things, so this looks like it will slip into
> next week.
I absolutely agree with Thilo, we should fix and tag this in the 2.1.0
branch. I think we should do things as good as we can to make it
understandable
for all users. And providing hot fixes for a release that is based on
trunk seems to me a little bit confusing.

If there is there anything I can help with, please let me know.

-- Michael

Re: [VOTE] [HOTFIX] release hot fix Eclipse plugin for UIMA CDE tool

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Adam Lally wrote:
> On 3/30/07, Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> I'm concerned that we didn't create this hotfix from the 2.1.0 branch in
>> subversion, but from trunk.  I'm sorry I didn't catch this earlier, but
>> I only just noticed it.  I think we need to build the hotfix from the
>> 2.1.0 branch, to make sure nothing else goes in.  We need to fix this
>> issue there, anyway.  We may have to create more fixes for 2.1.0.
>>
>> So I propose to fix this in the appropriate branch.  From a subversion
>> perspective, I would also prefer to see the tag for the hotfix be a tag
>> for all of uimaj, not just the subproject.  That way, it's easier to
>> extract the full distribution with the hotfix, even if we distribute
>> only parts of it.  We also need to think about people want to build out
>> of subversion.
>>

> To me, if we're just releasing the one plugin it should be OK to just
> tag that.
>
> You're right it would have been cleaner to apply the changes off of
> 2.1.0, but if Marshall can verify that all the changes in
> uimaj-ep-configurator are appropriate for this hotfix, then I think we
> should go ahead with it.

Anyone can verify this quite easily, I think.  The only files changed in
UIMA-364 issue are in the
uimaj-ep-configurator project.  Using the show-history SVN function,
It says the 2.1.0 release in SVN is tagged at 515501 dated March 7, 2007.
The "trunk" history for the uimaj-ep-configurator project shows, in
reverse chronological order,
3 updates related to UIMA-364, dated March 29 and 30th (today), and the
previous one is
515180 dated March 6, 2007.

So there have been no updates to this other than the UIMA-364 issue,
since the previous release.

I hope that is sufficient; just trying to reduce non-productive work :-)

-Marshall

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On 3/30/07, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:
> The CDE fix in Jira: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-364 has
> been packaged into a hotfix.
>
> The hotfix consists only of one Eclipse Plugin project; this project
> (uimaj-ep-configurator) was tagged in SVN:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-ep-configurator-2.1.0-hotfix-1
>
> The artifact is located in
> http://people.apache.org/~schor/org.apache.uima.desceditor.2.1.0.incubating-hotfix-1.zip;
> this is a "binary"
> deployable object usable by UIMA users directly, after unzipping into
> the Eclipse plugins directory.
>
> Please cast your vote on releasing:
> org.apache.uima.desceditor.2.1.0.incubating-hotfix-1.zip and
> including a reference to the source at:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-ep-configurator-2.1.0-hotfix-1
> Note: I don't plan to zip up this source further into a release
> artifact, unless it's required.
>
> We ask that you please vote to approve this release:
> [ ] +1 Approve the release as Apache UIMA 2.1.0-incubating
> [ ] -1 Recommend against releasing at this time (identify issues you
> consider showstoppers)

I assume you meant

> [ ] +1 Approve the release as org.apache.uima.desceditor.2.1.0.incubating-hotfix-1.zip

+1 to that.

-Adam