Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Andy Buchanan <An...@artworks.co.uk> on 2003/08/21 12:09:24 UTC

Corrupted repository?

abuchanan@YAK ~/work/Trunk.563

$ svn update -r 552

U  XX\XX.dsp

svn: Filesystem has no such string

svn:

locate_key: no such string `sx4'

abuchanan@YAK ~/work/Trunk.563

$ svn update -r 551

svn: RA layer request failed

svn: GET of /svn/XX/!svn/ver/551/vss/MS10/XX/crt0.o: 500 Internal Server
Error (http://XXbuildmachine)

abuchanan@YAK ~/work/Trunk.563

Our subversion database failed (right on a deadline of course), First
attempt to recover

the DB timed out (after 2 hours) and failed (This may have been an issue
with our server which is

a poor performer at the best of times).

For the second attempt at recovery I moved the repos to my local machine,
which

is nice and quick and recovered the DB in a about 3 seconds.

We appear to have more or less correct data, but this "sx4" error which
begins

effectively stops us peering/rolling back any further than 559.

I DO have a "dumped" backup file that covers up to r550, but nothing

for r551 itself, and from the head I can only roll backwards to 559.

For now I've built a new Repository, but I'd like to recover the damaged
history from

the broken repository.

I'd welcome any suggestions. TIA.

Cheers,

Andy Buchanan

Senior Programmer

Computer Artworks

Re: Corrupted repository?

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Andy Buchanan <An...@artworks.co.uk> writes:

> abuchanan@YAK ~/work/Trunk.563
> $ svn update -r 552
> U  XX\XX.dsp
> svn: Filesystem has no such string
> svn:
> locate_key: no such string `sx4'
>
> abuchanan@YAK ~/work/Trunk.563
> $ svn update -r 551
> svn: RA layer request failed
> svn: GET of /svn/XX/!svn/ver/551/vss/MS10/XX/crt0.o: 500 Internal Server
> Error (http://XXbuildmachine)
>
> abuchanan@YAK ~/work/Trunk.563
>
> Our subversion database failed (right on a deadline of course),
> First attempt to recover the DB timed out (after 2 hours) and failed
> (This may have been an issue with our server which is a poor
> performer at the best of times).

Have you ever run recovery on this repository while Apache (or any
other process) was still accessing it?

> For now I've built a new Repository, but I'd like to recover the
> damaged history from the broken repository.

I can take a shot at doing this for you.  How large is the repos?  Is
the data private?  Can I get a URL to a compressed archive of the
broken repos?