Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org> on 2013/05/21 23:10:29 UTC

[PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Hi all,
This has been a side topic in several email threads recently.  Currently we
have an ambiguity.  We have a tradition in the dev community that any
committer can create a branch, and propose release candidates from it.  Yet
the Hadoop bylaws say that releases have to be planned in advance, the plan
needs to be voted on, and presumably can be denied.

Apache policies (primarily here <http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html>
 and here <http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html>, with
non-normative commentary
here<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice>)
are very clear on how Releases have to be approved, and our bylaws are
consistent with those policies.  But Apache policies don't say anything
I've found about Release Plans, nor about voting on Release Plans.

I propose the following change, to remove Release Plan votes, and give a
simple definition of Release Manager role.  I'm opening discussion with
this proposal, and will put it to a vote if we seem to be getting
consensus.  Here's the changes I suggest in the
Bylaws<http://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws.html>
 document:

===

1. In the "Decision Making" : "Actions" section of the Bylaws, the
following text is removed:

** Release Plan*

Defines the timetable and actions for a release. The plan also nominates a
Release Manager.

Lazy majority of active committers

2. In the "Roles and Responsibilities" section of the Bylaws, an additional
role is defined:

** Release Manager*

A Release Manager (RM) is a committer who volunteers to produce a Release
Candidate according to
HowToRelease<https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease>.
 The RM shall publish a Release Plan on the *common-dev@* list stating the
branch from which they intend to make a Release Candidate, at least one
week before they do so. The RM is responsible for building consensus around
the content of the Release Candidate, in order to achieve a successful
Product Release vote.

===

Please share your views.
Best regards,
--Matt (long-time release manager)

Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
+1, thanks for taking the initiative on this Matt.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Posted by Giridharan Kesavan <gk...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

-Giri

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.
+1

I've always found the Release Plan votes a bit bizarre, and the fact that
we've gone through many releases that did not have a corresponding Release
Plan vote suggest to me that we should just scrap them.

--
Aaron T. Myers
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Konstantin,

The amendment I've proposed actually leaves the Release Plan in place.  In
fact, where one could say the current bylaws don't require a Release Plan
for every release, this amendment makes clear that it does.  It just
doesn't have to be voted on.

I would think that a controversial release plan would generate discussion,
which would give guidance to the prospective RM about what he or she needs
to do in order to achieve enough consensus to pass a Product Release vote.
 There's no need to vote on intentions, tho.  If people don't like the
release (as planned and/or as delivered) they can vote down the RC, which
is a concrete artifact.

I'm not concerned that people won't comment until the RC comes out.  Folks
around here are pretty free with their opinions :-)  And release votes are
majority vote, so there are no vetoes, and "submarine" behavior doesn't get
rewarded.

--Matt

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
Couldn't reply yesterday.

Posted by Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (398J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.

Posted by Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com>.
+1.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Jitendra Pandey <ji...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
+1  thanks Matt.

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
+1

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
+1

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> +1
>

> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > This has been a side topic in several email threads recently.  Currently
> we
> > have an ambiguity.  We have a tradition in the dev community that any
> > committer can create a branch, and propose release candidates from it.
>  Yet
> > the Hadoop bylaws say that releases have to be planned in advance, the
> plan
> > needs to be voted on, and presumably can be denied.
> >
> > Apache policies (primarily here <http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html>
> >  and here <http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html>, with
> > non-normative commentary
> > here<
> > http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice
> >)
> > are very clear on how Releases have to be approved, and our bylaws are
> > consistent with those policies.  But Apache policies don't say anything
> > I've found about Release Plans, nor about voting on Release Plans.
> >
> > I propose the following change, to remove Release Plan votes, and give a
> > simple definition of Release Manager role.  I'm opening discussion with
> > this proposal, and will put it to a vote if we seem to be getting
> > consensus.  Here's the changes I suggest in the
> > Bylaws<http://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws.html>
> >  document:
> >
> > ===
> >
> > 1. In the "Decision Making" : "Actions" section of the Bylaws, the
> > following text is removed:
> >
> > ** Release Plan*
> >
> > Defines the timetable and actions for a release. The plan also nominates
> > Release Manager.
> >
> > Lazy majority of active committers
> >

> > 2. In the "Roles and Responsibilities" section of the Bylaws, an
> additional
> > role is defined:
> >
> > ** Release Manager*
> >
> > A Release Manager (RM) is a committer who volunteers to produce a Release
> > Candidate according to
> > HowToRelease<https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease>.
> >  The RM shall publish a Release Plan on the *common-dev@* list stating
> the
> > branch from which they intend to make a Release Candidate, at least one
> > week before they do so. The RM is responsible for building consensus
> around
> > the content of the Release Candidate, in order to achieve a successful
> > Product Release vote.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Please share your views.
> > Best regards,
> > --Matt (long-time release manager)
> >

> --
> http://hortonworks.com/download/

--
Alejandro

Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

Posted by Arpit Gupta <ar...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

--
Arpit Gupta
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 (committer vote; not sure if it is binding on this or not)

RE: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Posted by Jagane Sundar <ja...@sundar.org>.
Thanks for highlighting my concern, Matt.

I do not profess to great wisdom in the mechanisms of planning for, developing and putting out stable releases of Hadoop.

My point of view is quite simple, and pardon me for stating the obvious: A thriving Hadoop community is more that the developers of core HDFS and YARN - it includes the users of Hadoop, it includes the developers who write applications for Hadoop, it includes projects such as HBase that build on top of Hadoop, it includes commercial vendors who package Hadoop as part of their Big Data solutions, it includes vendors such as ourselves who build proprietary functionality on top of Hadoop, it includes OS vendors who want to bundle Hadoop as part of their Operating Systems.

Again - stating the obvious: For such a community to thrive and grow, a limited number of stable releases, along with a limited number of development branches where strong multi-company development takes place is crucial. There are a number of alternative technologies such as riak, mongoDB, memcache, MapR, etc. that are well funded and eager to overtake Hadoop, should Hadoop fragment.

Hopefully, the collective wisdom of the Hadoop PMC will play the benevolent dictator role that Linus plays so well for Linux.

I will stop here, since nobody ever reads more than four sentences of any email....

Jagane

Posted by Matt Foley <mf...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Jagane,

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Jagane,
since you did not explicitly cast a -1 or other numerical vote, please if
you wish go ahead and cast a vote in the VOTE thread.
Best regards,
--Matt

Posted by Ravi Sharma <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jonathan Eagles <je...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (398J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1million

I completely agree with Chris D's separate email too about not
vote'ing about intentions, and voting on actual artifacts.

The fact of the matter at the ASF is that any PMC member; heck any
contributor can roll a release candidate. If that candidate receives
at least 3 PMC member +1s (to make it binding as backed by the Foundation
and its distributed committees and structure), and more +1s than -1s,
you've got yourself
a release. It's up to someone on the PMC/committee at that point to publish
the bits on ASF infrastructure and ultimately to make sure that whoever
made
the RC has a key that's present in a KEYS file or on id.apache.org, but
beyond that, that's it.*

Cheers,
Chris

* - if Joe Schmoe comes along and makes a release candidate that passes
muster with the Hadoop PMC, then I would expect Joe Schmoe should be added
to the PMC :)

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246