Posted to user@struts.apache.org by objectworlds <ob...@netscape.net> on 2003/06/30 04:01:59 UTC

Struts - concepts - is it true ?

Hi,

I have some material on the struts framework and I want to check if what
I have read is true.
That way I will continue to follow the material I have on Struts framework.

- The struts framework Model 2 is a variant of  MVC software design
pattern when used with web applications.
- The struts framework keeps multiple views with multiple users  up to
date  so that when
the data changes so does the view. This is also known as the publisher -
subscriber pattern because it
helps keep the subscribers synchronized with the publisher.
- The struts framework allows the decoupling of business logic , control
and presentation.
- Struts also allows one to change Internationalise the application
based on the locale of the user.

Re: Struts - concepts - is it true ? - model 1 & model 2

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, objectworlds wrote:

> According to text main difference between model 1 and model 2 is that
> model 2 uses a servlet  as the controller with model 1 using JSP.

The implementation technology for the controller isn't really the
difference.  In traditional Model 1 style applications, there *is* no
single controller -- instead, the form submit goes back to the same JSP
page that created the form itself, so the page has to do double duty:

* Rendering the user interface

* Processing form submits

where the real advantage of Model 2 is that these two functions are
separated (in Struts, rendering is typically done with JSP pages but this
is not required, while form processing is sent to Actions that either
contain the corresponding business logic or delegate to it).  Now, you can
remodel either the front end or the back end of your app, with (at most)
minimal changes to the other.  If everything is mixed together in a single
page, you will often have a much harder time just changing one or the
other.

Craig McClanahan

Re: Struts - extention with EJB

Posted by objectworlds <ob...@netscape.net>.
I assume you mean tomcat as the container and not an EJB container.

I would like a clarification on this point if you don't mind.
I have a book where the author suggests reasons for using EJBs in this case
a Stateless Session Bean for Java Mail.
reasons are
- Security (moving the JAVA MAIL to another machine away from the web
server).
- Maintainability  ( i.e hot deploy  EJBs)
-  Performance & Scalability ( application ( web ) servers can be
clustered and load balanced )

Are you saying that one can simply ignore these points, when using the
struts framework,
because in  reality the above are simply more hype than fact.
Another words there is no real benefit to be gained by adding an extra
step of the EJB container with the
Struts Framework.

http://shopnow.netscape.com/

Re: Struts - j2ee compliant

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Best Way putting ArrayList of ValueObjects in Struts.

Posted by AshokD <as...@visualsoft-tech.com>.
Hi,

I have doubt regarding some implementation in Form.

I have a list of ValueObjects, some are editable and some are not editable.

We can implement this, putting this list to a Form or putting this list into
a Session.

Which implementation is best in above two options ?

Thanks & Regards,
Ashok.D

Re: Struts - j2ee compliant

Posted by objectworlds <ob...@netscape.net>.

http://shopnow.netscape.com/

Re: Struts - j2ee compliant

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: Struts - j2ee compliant

Posted by objectworlds <ob...@netscape.net>.

http://shopnow.netscape.com/

Re: Struts - j2ee compliant

Posted by objectworlds <ob...@netscape.net>.
I have plenty of material on filters & how tag libraries are written.
i.e.
-  extending  the superclass/base class  TagSupport class.
- creating files with .tld suffix
- making tags visible to servers via web.xml
- translation of tags in  JSP  etc.

http://shopnow.netscape.com/

Re: Struts - j2ee compliant

Posted by Sandeep Takhar <sa...@yahoo.com>.