Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2014/02/13 19:10:54 UTC

ApacheCon Community track

All,

Please have a look at http://tm3.org/cfpreview Community tab.

We currently have 19 talks that have been marked as 'Accept' in the CFP
system, and I would like to fit this content into 18 sessions. I'd like
some feedback on what talk we should drop. There's a lot of overlap in
many of the sessions proposed, and I expect that there are a number that
could be considered redundant. We'll also need a fallback talk for this
track, so if a particular speaker has several sessions, perhaps we can
move one to fallback designation.

Shane, Ross, and Nick each have multiple talks marked accepted, but, in
each case, there are a number of "Strongly Accept" votes, and I need to
hear from a larger group on where we should go with this.

Perhaps we could put the three of them in a cage and let them fight it
out. Or, worse, on a panel session.

--Rich

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: ApacheCon Community track

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Hey Rich. As ever just point at me and say "Ross, I need you to do ****"
and I'll do everything I can to deliver (I trust you to be kind ;-). Use me
to backfill wherever you want (thinking specifically about the Panel
proposal)

Similarly feel free to kill any of my existing sessions to make room for
other peoples. If you reject one of mine then that's more time I have to
enjoy the conference ;-)

Ross

Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Senior Technology Evangelist
Microsoft Open Technologies, Inc.
A subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On 02/13/2014 01:24 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>
>> Please have a look at http://tm3.org/cfpreview Community tab.
>>
>> We currently have 19 talks that have been marked as 'Accept' in the CFP
>> system, and I would like to fit this content into 18 sessions.
> My Incubator talk is listed in two tracks: "Community" and "For Committers".
>
> Does that help?
>
> Marvin Humphrey

Indeed it does.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Jan Willem Janssen <ja...@luminis.eu>.

Re: ApacheCon Community track

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Please have a look at http://tm3.org/cfpreview Community tab.
>
> We currently have 19 talks that have been marked as 'Accept' in the CFP
> system, and I would like to fit this content into 18 sessions. I'd like some
> feedback on what talk we should drop. There's a lot of overlap in many of
> the sessions proposed, and I expect that there are a number that could be
> considered redundant. We'll also need a fallback talk for this track, so if
> a particular speaker has several sessions, perhaps we can move one to
> fallback designation.
>
> Shane, Ross, and Nick each have multiple talks marked accepted, but, in each
> case, there are a number of "Strongly Accept" votes, and I need to hear from
> a larger group on where we should go with this.
>
> Perhaps we could put the three of them in a cage and let them fight it out.
> Or, worse, on a panel session.
>
> --Rich

> http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

There are 4 incubator related talks marked as accept - we could surely
pare one of those down.
Also Shane has three talks accepted, and has previously requested
(admittedly OOB) that we accept no more than 2 of his talks.

--David

Re: ApacheCon Community track

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On 02/14/2014 09:17 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:

> On 02/13/2014 06:28 PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:26 AM, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Especially for the community track a panel discussion, with a short
>>> introduction from each panel member could be a lot more lively and
>>> thereby
>>> giving for us all.
>>>
>>> The community track is all about our communities, so why not do some
>>> of the
>>> talks in that form.
>>>
>>> but thats just my personal opinion.
>> My strong +1 to that -- a panel with a cool moderator is worth a couple
>> of presos in my book ;-)
>
> So, a bunch of cool suggestions in this thread. I'm reluctant to
> schedule a panel session without volunteers. Are any of you
> volunteering to be the moderator and/or the speakers? We'd need at
> least three speakers, plus a moderator, to make a worthwhile panel. I
> *could* pencil in a panel talk, and then come back to it later, but it
> runs the risk of being lame if we have to press-gang folks into doing it.

I also wonder, as I mentioned on IRC (We're on #apachecon on freenode,
if you want to follow along) if by April these will still be the timely
issues we want to talk about, or if it will be old news.

The release cadence thing is very interesting, in this age of CI and
automatic testing, and I suspect that it will still be relevant by
April. I'm leaning towards that topic.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On 02/14/2014 09:22 AM, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> On 02/14/2014 08:17 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>> So, a bunch of cool suggestions in this thread. I'm reluctant to
>> schedule a panel session without volunteers. Are any of you volunteering
>> to be the moderator and/or the speakers? We'd need at least three
>> speakers, plus a moderator, to make a worthwhile panel. I *could* pencil
>> in a panel talk, and then come back to it later, but it runs the risk of
>> being lame if we have to press-gang folks into doing it.
>>
>> Volunteers?
> I'm happy to moderate.

I was hoping you'd offer. :-)

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On 02/14/2014 08:17 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> So, a bunch of cool suggestions in this thread. I'm reluctant to
> schedule a panel session without volunteers. Are any of you volunteering
> to be the moderator and/or the speakers? We'd need at least three
> speakers, plus a moderator, to make a worthwhile panel. I *could* pencil
> in a panel talk, and then come back to it later, but it runs the risk of
> being lame if we have to press-gang folks into doing it.
>
> Volunteers?

I'm happy to moderate.
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net

Re: ApacheCon Community track

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Sure. I will.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On 02/14/2014 06:03 AM, Marcel Offermans wrote:
> On 14 Feb 2014, at 14:39 pm, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

>>> My strong +1 to that -- a panel with a cool moderator is worth a couple
>>> of presos in my book ;-)
>> Do you have a specific topic or question that a panel could address? Needs to be something that there's actually some room for debate, so that it's not a bunch of "me too".
> A couple of questions come to mind, based on discussions on our mailing lists:
>
> 1) Communities at Apache are free to choose either Subversion or Git as their version control system. Git and more recently, Github integration, has been a hot topic. This warrants a few questions to panel members, such as how have you setup your workflow as far as working on bugfixes, codechanges and accepting patches goes?
>
> 2) Apache is all about source releases. This is what we vote on and make available on our distribution server and mirrors. At the same time, a lot of projects also provide convenience binaries to many different channels. Quite a few projects, inside and out of Apache, are adoption fast release cycles, where it's not uncommon to have a weekly release. What's your take on this and how could Apache facilitate such a process better?
>
> 3) If you were approached by a community that was currently working outside of Apache and they would ask you what the benefits are of bringing their project to Apache, what would be your response? Also, where could such a community get more information about Apache and the incubator?
>
> I'm sure these questions will trigger some responses, controversy or other questions. :)
>
> Greetings, Marcel

Marcel, all great topics! :)

MzK

"Cats do not have to be shown how to have a good time,
  for they are unfailing ingenious in that respect."
                                        -- James Mason

Re: ApacheCon Community track

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.eu>.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Fri, Feb 14, 2014, at 07:47 AM, jan i wrote:
> Take the ongoing discussion about release timing, that will for sure call
> for debate.

More generally, a discussion about Apache adapting to new release
methodologies and technologies, but yeah - I'd like to see some
discussion on this.

> Another theme is "do we want to be more visible, thus attracting more
> sponsors"
>
> The latter require a panel of "old" and "new" people.
>
> rgds
> jan I.
>

> > --Rich
> >
> > --
> > Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com - @rbowen
> > http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Best,

jzb

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:26 AM, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> Especially for the community track a panel discussion, with a short
> introduction from each panel member could be a lot more lively and thereby
> giving for us all.
>
> The community track is all about our communities, so why not do some of the
> talks in that form.
>
> but thats just my personal opinion.

My strong +1 to that -- a panel with a cool moderator is worth a couple
of presos in my book ;-)

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: ApacheCon Community track