Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Martin.Hepworth" <ma...@solidstatelogic.com> on 2007/08/08 17:49:32 UTC

lottery spam as .doc files

Heads up, the pdf stock spam has morphed to ms-word files for lottery winnings..

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Red Lion 49 Ltd T/A Solid State Logic
(Company No:5362730)
United Kingdom

Re: lottery spam as .doc files

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.com>.
On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 17:59:41 +0100, "Martin.Hepworth"
<ma...@solidstatelogic.com> wrote:

>It's huge 660KB for the attachments...
>
>I'll dig out a place to drop it to..

I did wonder when the size trump card was gonna get played with SA. I
guess it's now. Here's hoping the folk at SANE can help - they've done
marvels with the pdf problems.

Nigel

RE: lottery spam as .doc files

Posted by "Martin.Hepworth" <ma...@solidstatelogic.com>.

Re: lottery spam as .doc files

Posted by Banyan He <ba...@rootong.com>.
Hi Martin,

---------------

Re: lottery spam as .doc files

Posted by Jeff Shepherd <je...@tolisgroup.com>.
Wait!  You mean those are spam!?  :)

Haven't seen those yet, thanks for the heads up.  I'll keep my eye out
for those.

-Jeff

Re: lottery spam as .doc files

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Looks like most of the pdf/xls/doc spam gets rejected at MTA level if you
use greylisting and dynamic IP rbls. So far I haven't seen any on my
private server that didn't make it thru to SA unless it got forwarded.
And I have seen only a few on the little less protected servers.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: lottery spam as .doc files

Posted by UxBoD <ux...@splatnix.net>.
Hmmm, interesting one.  I would have only just blocked that one :-

 pts rule name              description
 1.7 SARE_FREE_WEBM_COMWALL Maybe spammer with free email
 0.6 RCVD_IN_SORBS_WEB      RBL: SORBS: sender is a abuseable web server
                            [88.15.90.125 listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net]
 2.1 SUBJ_ALL_CAPS          Subject is all capitals
 1.3 MISSING_HEADERS        Missing To: header
-0.2 BAYES_40               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 20 to 40%
                            [score: 0.3146]
 0.7 MPART_ALT_DIFF         BODY: HTML and text parts are different
 1.5 MIME_HTML_ONLY         BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts
 0.0 WHOIS_NETSOLPR         URL registered as a NetSol Private Registration
                            [URIs: walla.com]
 0.1 HTML_MIME_NO_HTML_TAG  HTML-only message, but there is no HTML tag
 0.2 SARE_SUB_ENC_UTF8      Message uses character set often used in spam
 0.5 CRM114_CHECK           CRM114: message is UNSURE with crm114-score -2.3600

Regards,

--[ UxBoD ]--
// PGP Key: "curl -s https://www.splatnix.net/uxbod.asc | gpg --import"
// Fingerprint: C759 8F52 1D17 B3C5 5854  36BD 1FB1 B02F 5DB5 687B
// Keyserver: www.keyserver.net Key-ID: 0x5DB5687B
// Phone: +44 845 869 2749 SIP Phone: uxbod@sip.splatnix.net

Posted by "Martin.Hepworth" <ma...@solidstatelogic.com>.
OK