Posted to c-users@xalan.apache.org by Nicholas Bastin <ni...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/16 21:19:25 UTC

Re: Xalan 64-bit Windows Compatibility

On 11/29/06, Prashanta <pr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to build Xalan-C for 64-bit Windows?  I haven't had any luck
> and I was wondering if it was at all possible.  Anyone tried?

I've built it on Win64 with ICL, but it crashes constantly.  I haven't
had any time to figure out why.

--
Nick

Re: Xalan 64-bit Windows Compatibility

Posted by Nicholas Bastin <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 8/17/07, David Bertoni <db...@apache.org> wrote:
> Nicholas Bastin wrote:
> > On 11/29/06, Prashanta <pr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> Is it possible to build Xalan-C for 64-bit Windows?  I haven't had any luck
> >> and I was wondering if it was at all possible.  Anyone tried?
> >
> > I've built it on Win64 with ICL, but it crashes constantly.  I haven't
> > had any time to figure out why.
> Interesting.  I've built Xalan-C using the Intel compiler on Windows for
> both IA64 and x64 without issue.  In fact, it ships with several of IBM's
> products, and with other companies' products as well.
>
> On the other hand, in my experience, the Intel compilers can be very buggy,
> so it may depend on what version you're using.

The build process for Xalan+ICU, at least in my opinion, is pretty
easy to screw up in relatively subtle ways, so a rebuild may very well
solve my problem (plus we've moved up about 20 ICL patches since my
last build).  I am not used to using the VC++ environment to build, so
it may very well be my own ignorance (we use make, even on windows, so
I'm like a fish out of water when it comes to trying to tweak compiler
options in the VC GUI).

--
Nick

Re: Xalan 64-bit Windows Compatibility

Posted by David Bertoni <db...@apache.org>.
Nicholas Bastin wrote:
> On 11/29/06, Prashanta <pr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it possible to build Xalan-C for 64-bit Windows?  I haven't had any luck
>> and I was wondering if it was at all possible.  Anyone tried?
>
> I've built it on Win64 with ICL, but it crashes constantly.  I haven't
> had any time to figure out why.
Interesting.  I've built Xalan-C using the Intel compiler on Windows for
both IA64 and x64 without issue.  In fact, it ships with several of IBM's
products, and with other companies' products as well.

On the other hand, in my experience, the Intel compilers can be very buggy,
so it may depend on what version you're using.

Dave