Posted to dev@hama.apache.org by Lin Chia-Hung <cl...@googlemail.com> on 2010/12/16 04:55:33 UTC

Task distribution issue

When working on BSPPeer fault tolerance
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAMA-199), I came across
another issue - the task distribution currently employed in HAMA is
done by GroomServer requesting tasks from BSPMaster, similar to one
used in Hadoop mapreduce. This strategy has discussion at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-278 regarding to e.g
memory footprint, race condition, etc. Although this issue do not
directly relate to the BSPPeer fault tolerance, the strategy
(GroomServer requests tasks from BSPMaster) employed may have
potential issue e.g. task can not be reschedule to the node expected.

So I would like to know if there is any chance the HAMA task
distribution mechanism may work toward this direction (proactive task
assignment)?

Thanks

Re: Task distribution issue

Posted by Chia-Hung Lin <cl...@googlemail.com>.
Yes. My understanding is that HADOOP-815 concerns JobInProgress's
memory footprint issue; and HADOOP-600 has issues JobTracker lost
tracks of tasks in TaskTracker due to race condition. From the
discussion the root cause looks like relating to the way how
JobTracker communicate with TaskTracker; therefore, I was thinking
that HAMA can learn from Hadoop's previous experience.

Thanks for helping schedule task killing, re-attempting functions, etc. issues.

Sincerely,
ChiaHung

Re: Task distribution issue

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.