Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2004/04/29 17:34:18 UTC

[Multiproject] Adding new property

Hi dIon,

I'd like to apply the attached patch. Is it ok with you?

I need this to integrate the dashboard plugin with the multiproject
plugin.

Thanks
-Vincent

RE: [Multiproject] Adding new property

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

dashboard:single-
> report
>
> (am I right here?)

Yes, I have thought long about this possibility this morning while
riding the train to work... Imagine we want to use the dashboard report
for our existing maven plugins. It means modifying *all* projects and
adding a new <report>maven-dashboard-single-plugin</report> element. Or,
if we use the same report name, i.e.
<report>maven-dashboard-plugin</report> as for the top level project,
then we need a property that says that this project is a child, which
comes to exactly the same amount of work and *dependency*. This is what
I don't like too much, that the subproject knows that it is being
introspected.

Now, I may still be convinced that this is the right way. However, my
current state of mind prefers the other approach of asking the
multiproject plugin to run a special goal for all subprojects (which a
possible exclusion filter as you mention, but honestly I don't see why
you would exclude subprojects).

> 2) From the other hand dashboard report is expecting certain output
from
> reports generators applied to group of projects .
> I wonder if  this is  a good assumption?
> Maybe somebody  has switched off most of the standard reports for
> particular projects or somebody might
> want to have some particular type of  report only appearing in the
> dashboard (e.g cvs activity)?

True, but then the plugin won't fail, it will simply display "-"
(meaning unknown result).

> So maybe dashboard report should itself produce those reports which
are
> aggregated at the dashboard as this will allow to do fully
> external and arbitrary audit of projects' statistics ignoring set of
> reports which is used internally for any of  projects.

It does! It has 2 ways of working depending on whether or not you have
set the maven.dashboard.rungoals to true or false. If set to true, it
calls the goals generating the raw data (e.g. checkstyle, junit, etc).

> Out of those two option second one as for seems to be more appropriate
> ... but I have no clue yet how to implement this
>
> Honestly I am still trying to build my opinion about this and thinking
> out loud

please keep going. I still haven't found the perfect solution either but
I'm leaning towards controlling the plugin from the top level only.

> you've got my +0 at the moment :D

cool :-)

<slightly OT>
One thing we definitely need to do is improve the plugins so that they
can be several times without incurring the execution penalty the second
time and thereafter, if the initial set of condition has not changed. We
have this for the java plugin (thanks to <javac>). I think we need to
add this as the default behavior for the test plugin too and the others.
Of course, we should always offer a force mode should it be required but
my feeling is that the default mode is: do not execute again if not
input sources have changed.
</slightly OT>

Posted by Michal Maczka <mm...@interia.pl>.
Vincent Massol wrote:

>Hi dIon,
>
>I'd like to apply the attached patch. Is it ok with you?
>
>I need this to integrate the dashboard plugin with the multiproject
>plugin.

I  am still thinking what's the best of of doing that and how dashboard
plugin should work....

There are at least two more options to consider:

1) You can as well add <report>dashboard</report> to pom of each project
which is supposed to appear in the dashboard report.
So properties like maven.dashboard.includes,maven.dashboard.includes etc
will be not needed (in case someone will like to skip some projects)

You might from the first sight think that this is duplication of code.
But it's not that stupid as it seems,
after all already for each project some work is already required as you
have to configure

the property maven.dashboard.aggregators for the goal dashboard:single-report

(am I right here?)

2) From the other hand dashboard report is expecting certain output from
reports generators applied to group of projects .
I wonder if  this is  a good assumption?
Maybe somebody  has switched off most of the standard reports for
particular projects or somebody might
want to have some particular type of  report only appearing in the
dashboard (e.g cvs activity)?
So maybe dashboard report should itself produce those reports which are
aggregated at the dashboard as this will allow to do fully
external and arbitrary audit of projects' statistics ignoring set of
reports which is used internally for any of  projects.

Out of those two option second one as for seems to be more appropriate
... but I have no clue yet how to implement this

Honestly I am still trying to build my opinion about this and thinking
out loud

you've got my +0 at the moment :D

Michal

Re: [Multiproject] Adding new property

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
"Vincent Massol" <vm...@pivolis.com> wrote on 30/04/2004 01:34:18 AM:

> Hi dIon,
>
> I'd like to apply the attached patch. Is it ok with you?
>
> I need this to integrate the dashboard plugin with the multiproject
> plugin.

BTW, anything that makes the multiproject plugin more useful to others
doing the same thing is fine by me.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting

RE: [Multiproject] Adding new property

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
I'll create a JIRA issue and attach the patch as it was stripped...

-Vincent

There was no attachment.

Is it in Jira??