Posted to user@struts.apache.org by zkn <zk...@abv.bg> on 2007/05/01 15:28:40 UTC

utf-8 resource files in struts

Hello,

I'm trying to make a simple application that will support multiple
languages. It works fine when I add two latin resource files for
example _en and _fr.
But when I try to add _bg (Bulgarian, cyrillic) file which is saved
as utf-8 the text is not correctly displayed on the site.

I have added <%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8"
pageEncoding="UTF-8" language="java" %> to the jsp file but this
doesn't help.

Any ideas?

Ozkan

Re: utf-8 resource files in struts

Posted by "Patrick J. Maloney" <pj...@nycap.rr.com>.
I found something nice about JBuilder (version 2006, anyway):  If you
paste cyrillic into a .props file and then save it, it will escape it
for you (you don't see it until you reopen the file).  Then, you just
need to put UTF-8 in the HTML file.

Re: utf-8 resource files in struts

Posted by zkn <zk...@abv.bg>.
On 01.05.2007, at 17:21, Martin Gainty wrote:

> I found this helpful on understanding how cyrillic characters are
> represented thru Unicode
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrillic_alphabet
>
> If you're using windows so You'll need to load Cyrillic Input
> MethodEditor
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/downloads/recommended/ime/
> default.mspx

We are using OS X. But it's not a problem with fonts. We can display
data in cyrillic. The problem only occurs when reading data from a
resource file.

Posted by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net>.
zkn wrote:
> On 01.05.2007, at 17:01, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>> It used to be that all .properties files had to be in ISO-8859-1 form,
>> with escape sequences for non-Latin characters.
>
> But why do you say "had to be"? Is there other way to do it? Or may be
> just I didn't understand you.
> We tried with struts 1 and struts 2 and it wasn't working.

This requirement is still in place; it comes from the Java API
specification for the Properties file format (referenced from the
PropertyResourceBundle documentation):

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/Properties.html#encoding

L.

Re: utf-8 resource files in struts