Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Dan <li...@dankeeley.co.uk> on 2008/01/04 12:13:18 UTC

Running Remote, via ANT

Hi,

We run our JMeter scripts via ant, and pass in various values which are used
to define the number of threads for each threadgroup to use, etc.

Due to a problem where we're seeing irregular arrival rates we want to try
spreading the load across multiple servers.  So I setup and executed
jmeter-server on the localhost box, and a remote box.  This works fine, and
the rmiregistry and server seem to start ok.

I then execute my tests from the ant scripts in the usual way, telling it to
use localhost and the remote servers.  They connect up ok, and seem to start
the testplan however all the messages show "Starting 0 threads for group".
FWIW the location of the harness, vm, jmeter, testplans etc is the same on
both machines.

So what I dont understand is how should the various parameters that I pass
to jmeter be then passed to the remote boxes?

This is all headless as well - due to the number of parameters we set via
ant it's not possible to run up a gui client with those values set.

Thanks,
Dan

Re: Running Remote, via ANT

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 04/01/2008, Dan <li...@dankeeley.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We run our JMeter scripts via ant, and pass in various values which are used
> to define the number of threads for each threadgroup to use, etc.

Are you using pure Ant, or the Ant JMeter task?

> Due to a problem where we're seeing irregular arrival rates we want to try
> spreading the load across multiple servers.  So I setup and executed
> jmeter-server on the localhost box, and a remote box.  This works fine, and
> the rmiregistry and server seem to start ok.

Controlling more than a few servers from one client can cause network
congestion and/or resource exhaustion at the client, as all the

> I then execute my tests from the ant scripts in the usual way, telling it to
> use localhost and the remote servers.  They connect up ok, and seem to start
> the testplan however all the messages show "Starting 0 threads for group".

Server or client?

Are you using a property or variable to define the number of threads?
If it's not defined, then JMeter could interpret that as zero.

> FWIW the location of the harness, vm, jmeter, testplans etc is the same on
> both machines.
>
> So what I dont understand is how should the various parameters that I pass
> to jmeter be then passed to the remote boxes?

JMeter 2.3.1 added the ability to pass properties to remote servers
using the -G command-line flag. However that is not supported via the
ant-jmeter jar (yet). But you can pass whatever flags you like using
Ant with the <arg> tag.

> This is all headless as well - due to the number of parameters we set via
> ant it's not possible to run up a gui client with those values set.

Non-GUI uses fewer resources, especially in 2.3.1.