Posted to user@struts.apache.org by xzuma <za...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/13 00:59:52 UTC

[OT] JSF-Shale-Facelets orthogonality

Hello,

I am reading discussions about the above three frameworks with one goal in
mind, to find out whether JSF, Shale and Facelets are trully orthogonal.
That is, if I go along any path, will be able to add any other framework
lateron? How hard it is? What features of the frameworks are interlapping?

Thanks.

Re: [OT] JSF-Shale-Facelets orthogonality

Posted by xzuma <za...@gmail.com>.
On 1/13/06, Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 1/12/06, David G. Friedman <hu...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >
> > Since no one else has answered, I'll give this a try:
> >
> > JSF is the base for everything you asked about.  Only AFTER you are
> > comfortable with JSF implementation (the Sun JSF RI
> > or the MyFaces runtime) would I recommend you try Facelets, Shale or
> both.
> >
> > Facelets and Shale bring extra functionality on top of a JSF
> > implementation that each project's authors felt were
> > missing from JSF v1.1.  Facelets brings a view definition tool,
> templating
> > and tile-like functionality to JSF.  Shale
> > brings many pieces to JSF such as Dialogs/Workflows, Tokens, Variable
> > resolvers, extra functions to the view controller
> > a test framework, etc.  One optional component of Shale is called Clay
> > which is functionally very similar to Facelets.
> > However, I have heard of people using Shale with Facelets instead of
> Clay
> > and who have almost everything working
> > normally.
> >
> > For more information, check out:
> >
> > Sun JSF RI: http://java.sun.com/j2ee/javaserverfaces/
> > MyFaces JSF RI: http://myfaces.apache.org
> > Shale: http://struts.apache.org/shale
> > Facelets: https://facelets.dev.java.net/
> >
> > *** Tutorials and other learning resources:
> > http://www.jsftutorials.net/
> > http://www.jsfcentral.com/
> >
> > Regards,
> > David
>

> "What David said" -- he's got it right.
>
> Craig McClanahan
>
> Thanks, Craig and David. I wonder, if it woud be possible (of course, it
is desirable) to calculate the orthogonality of the frameworks from first
principles.

Z.

Re: [OT] JSF-Shale-Facelets orthogonality

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.