Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Erick Rodriguez <tb...@outlook.com> on 2016/01/22 19:51:48 UTC

question about licensing and redistribution

Hello.

I have a project that requires the use of Apache Flex and it is distributed
inside of the file projects.

Since I want to sell my software, what kind of licensing I should use? I
generate dynamically swf files from a precompiled as file that is generated
by my app.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John Ericson Rodriguez
CEO & Founder
P :  <tel:917-613-1183> 917-613-1183
skype : tbogard

 <http://www.streamoverlaypro.com> http://www.streamoverlaypro.com

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to
whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not
the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended
addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or
distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the
message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately
advise the sender by reply email and delete the message

Re: question about licensing and redistribution

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Since I want to sell my software, what kind of licensing I should use? I generate dynamically swf files from a precompiled as file that is generated by my app.

Apache licensed software is permissive. This means you:
- can incorporate it into your software  (see section 2 of [1])
- distribute in source or binary form with your software (see section 4 of [1])
- don’t have to pay us anything (“royalty-free” - see section 2 of [1])
- can charge for your software
- can license your software package however you want

You just need to give proper attribution to us, include a copy of the Apache Flex license and notice and respect the ASF's trademarks. Note that the Apache license only applies to Apache Flex part and you can license your software however you want including a proprietary or non open source license.

This may also help [2]. I’m not a lawyer so you may want to seek real legal advice.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
2. http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#WhatDoesItMEAN