Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Michael Negodaev <ne...@gmail.com> on 2022/07/22 07:57:23 UTC

[DISCUSS] KIP-855: Add schema.namespace parameter to SetSchemaMetadata SMT in Kafka Connect

Hi all,

I would like to start the discussion on my design to add "schema.namespace"
parameter in SetSchemaMetadata Single Message Transform in Kafka Connect.

KIP URL: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/CiT1D

Thanks!
-Michael

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-855: Add schema.namespace parameter to SetSchemaMetadata SMT in Kafka Connect

Posted by Chris Egerton <ch...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the KIP! I was initially a little skeptical about the usefulness
of this feature since it seemed designed exclusively with Avro in mind, but
the motivation section convinced me that this would be applicable to a
wider range of use cases, so I'm happy to move forward with it.

Here are my initial thoughts:

1. The concept of a "namespace" is never explicitly defined anywhere in the
KIP. Can you add a concrete definition for that term? And, related to
this--are we assuming that the delimiter between a name and a namespace is
always the '.' character?
2. Why should we allow users to specify both a namespace and a name with
the SetSchemaMetadata transform? Isn't it possible to get the same behavior
from that kind of configuration by just setting a name that's prefixed with
the desired namespace?
3. The KIP currently addresses the use case of modifying a schema's
namespace, but leaving its name unchanged. Do you think there's any value
to adding support for the reverse--modifying a schema's name, but leaving
its namespace unchanged?
4. Can you add some examples to the KIP of what a schema's name would look
like before and after passing through the SetSchemaMetadata transform with
the following combinations of configuration:
   - Namespace provided, no name provided
   - Name provided, no namespace provided
   - Namespace and name provided (if we decide not to support this case, we
can call out that this results in a configuration error)

Cheers,

Chris

Posted by Michael Negodaev <ne...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mickael,